New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Something strange is happening, very strange

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tafika

OK, so I recently bought my eMac.
I use a USB memory stick in order to carry various things to and from home and college. I use Macs as part of my Graphics and Media courses, and I've never had a problem with using my memory stick with them. But on my own, whenever I remove it, by either selecting "Eject drive" from the menu from clicking on the drive icon, or by dragging the icon into the trash in order to remove it, I get all sorts of weird files on it. You know, the kind that come up when you don't remove the drive properly.
I don't get it, I always remove it properly, but I always get these extra files, but it only happens with my eMac.
Any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Or how I can fix it?
It's not doing any harm as far as I know, it's just really very irritating. lol
Any help is muchly appreciated. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Do these files have names with periods in front of them like ".DS_store" or anything similiar?
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

Yeah, they're the ones. Nasty buggers they are.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Those are put there by the Mac OS X filesystem. On *NIX systems, files with periods in front of them are hidden. Windows uses a different filesystem and they show up as normal files in Explorer. Sometimes they contain sensitive data, so I wouldn't delete them.
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

I'm not the cleverest person when it comes to computers and whatnot. But I'm a little confused. Why does this only happen when I use my Mac at home, when as far as I can tell, I use the exact same system at college?
And, are you saying there is no way to stop this from happening?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

To farther back up what meltbanana314 said, when I log into my Windows network Shares with any of my Macs and copy files to the Windows machine, each drive in Windows I am working with from the Mac has .DS_store files in that directory.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafika
I'm not the cleverest person when it comes to computers and whatnot. But I'm a little confused. Why does this only happen when I use my Mac at home, when as far as I can tell, I use the exact same system at college?
And, are you saying there is no way to stop this from happening?
Ah, sorry. Misread your post slightly.

What operating systems do the Macs at school use, and what version of OS X does your eMac run?
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

The Macs I use at college are eMacs, which run with OS X 10.3. As does my eMac at home.
Which is why I thought that there would be someway to stop this happening. As I only ever get the trashes folder and .DS_Store when I remove my USB stick from my Mac at home.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

they might have disabled caching/metadata at the school for removable drives (Im not sure how to do this..) because .DS_Store usually holds stuff like thumbnail info and metadata such as the timestamps and so forth of the files in the folder to make searching faster (Spotlight in Tiger will essentially expand and centralize this process).
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

Ahh rightyo. Thanks.
I think I'll leave it. Too much effort to sort it out now.
*Lazy*
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

By any chance, is the drive formatted using FAT-32? Most of them are from the factory. If so, they'll accumulate those files.

If you were to reformat them to HFS+ using Disk Utility, they should go away.

(Be sure to back up your files before reformatting. But you knew that.)
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

I have no idea how it's formatted, never really thought about that one.
Thanks so much. I shall try that out and see what happens.

Edit:
Um... I don't suppose you could expand on that a little could you? Because I just had a look, and I can't quite figure out how to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

open disk utility (in Applications/Utilities) and then just select your thumbdrive then do an erase to HFS+ after backing up your stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
tafika

Thankyou. I shall see if this works.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Keep in mind that once you do this, should ever need to use the flash drive with a PC, it will not understand it!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Web Cams | Wi fI Palm? »