Third-party Compatibility
    Hello!

I'm wondering if there's any reason this memory would not be compatible with the new range of iMacs.

I believe that the two top-end iMacs have the option of this memory, but it costs 800.00 through Apple. Does anyone know: is the memory from Crucial compatible?

Specs:
    MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
    Crucial is one of the primary after market memory providers for Macs, so you should be fine. Just make sure to use the Crucial configuration utility provided on their site for your particular make/model.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    You can get the right memory from crucial here

Crucial Memory Upgrades for Macs - Apple Memory
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by wmprice1240 View Post
    Crucial is one of the primary after market memory providers for Macs, so you should be fine. Just make sure to use the Crucial configuration utility provided on their site for your particular make/model.
    Sorry, my post wasn't particularly clear on that point:

I did use the crucial configuration utility and it told me the Mac would only support 2*2GB of Memory, while the Apple site clearly lists 2*4GB as an option. That's why I wasn't sure - because the memory I linked isn't within the configuration options given on Crucial, but seems to be within the limit given by Apple.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    No, the memory you have linked will not fit in your iMac. That is desktop memory and iMac's use notebook memory.

If you have one of the new iMac's that use DDR3, you will need 204 pin SODIMM's, not 240 pin DIMM's.

I would suggest you try their memory configuration tool again and make sure you have picked the correct machine.

If you did, you need to continue scrolling down the page as it lists the suggested memory at the top of the page (typically 2x2GB) and then lists other compatible configurations at the bottom of the page.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    No, the memory you have linked will not fit in your iMac. That is desktop memory and iMac's use notebook memory.

If you have one of the new iMac's that use DDR3, you will need 204 pin SODIMM's, not 240 pin DIMM's.

I would suggest you try their memory configuration tool again and make sure you have picked the correct machine.

If you did, you need to continue scrolling down the page as it lists the suggested memory at the top of the page (typically 2x2GB) and then lists other compatible configurations at the bottom of the page.
    I thought that memory scanner at crucial was pretty much automated? It shouldn't have problems detecting what machine you have.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I thought that memory scanner at crucial was pretty much automated? It shouldn't have problems detecting what machine you have.
    If you use the scanner. I never do. Don't know why not, but I always manually put in my machine when I'm looking.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    If you use the scanner. I never do. Don't know why not, but I always manually put in my machine when I'm looking.
    I wasn't using the right computer when I looked; I was curious to know whether I could upgrade a computer I was planning on buying.

I did have another look. For some reason it brought up different options this time, including the actual memory I was looking for. Thanks for the help, all!

Thread Information