New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lilguy

lilguy is on a distinguished road

I have a CRT/DVD IMAC with 10.3 loaded. Where can I get a printer that will work with this setup?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
I have a CRT/DVD IMAC with 10.3 loaded. Where can I get a printer that will work with this setup?
Best Buy
Target
Wal*Mart
Newegg.com
Macmall.com
Amazon.com
eBay
Craigslist
etc., etc., etc.

Pretty much anywhere you can buy a printer.
Just be sure that the printer manufacturer has included drivers for OS X.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

I have been told at BB that my system is to old for new printer function. That I need to find a used stuff dealer.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been told at BB that my system is to old for new printer function. That I need to find a used stuff dealer.
And they're wrong.
Here are the specs from the very first printer I found on their website:
HP - Deskjet Multifunction Printer/ Copier/ Scanner - F4280

Quote:
Minimum System Requirements
Mac: Intel® Core™, G3, G4 or G5 processor, OS X 10.3.9, 10.4, 10.5; 256MB RAM
You can buy a printer for your setup just about anywhere.
Just check the System Requirements before you buy it.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

Its 10.3.0. Will not work. How should i proceed ?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

Quote:
Its 10.3.0. Will not work. How should i proceed ?
Run Software Update.
Then you'll get the 10.3.9 update.

QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

My modem and aol are so slow that it kicks out before any software can be down loaded. For years we ran our Dental practice on a Mac software but the company failed and we had to switch to Windows/ Dell. I have 2 crt I macs left
and would like to use them at home. Maybe its time to turn them into aquariums.

I have a Mac classic I also would love to use for word processing, but no printer.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Get off of AOL,they spy and cut you off. If you want dail up check out fastermac.net. You can find mac classic printers at the thrift store. Look for Canon and Epson printers with the appletalk jack on the back. You can also network to many HP laser printers that use postscript.
QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

Thrift store?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

You're going to have to bite the bullet and download the 10.3.9 update. It might take a while but when installed, it will open many more printers to you. If need be, you can go to a library to download it and use a USB key to transfer it.

Here is the combo update and here is some info on it.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thrift store?
Yes, thats where you find old stuff for old Macs cheeper than eBay. I got an Oki C5100 color laser printer for $12.00,it just needed to be reset. Just got last week a B&W G3 another $12.00. Saw several HP laser printers today..$4.00.
An Epson 800 with that apple talk jack on the back...$4.00.
QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

My aol kicks out before anything can get started. I am obviously missing something because my high speed will not work when disconnected from my Dell and plugged into the Imac. Wife has been telling me for years to scrap it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you're using DHCP - this would be the most likely setup. Is your Mac setup for DHCP? Are you sure the network card works?

If you have high speed on your Windows machine, why not just download the update on that machine?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
lilguy

Which version updates will I need. I have to go from 10.3.0 to 10.3.9 do I need 9 down loads.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Which version updates will I need. I have to go from 10.3.0 to 10.3.9 do I need 9 down loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Here is the combo update and here is some info on it.
Install the combo update - all you'll need. To be safe, make a backup beforehand in case something goes wrong.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microsoft Bluetooth 5000 mouse - re-assigning buttons | Large desktop/mouse pad »