New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

macbook hardrive has no memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kenz12

kenz12 is on a distinguished road

Hi. Well I have had my macbook for 2.5 years and lately my hardrive is showing NO memory (or at least very few like 12 MB) I recently went to the Apple store and was told to buy an external hardrive. So I did and now i am not sure what to do with it. Help please? Like how do I use the hardrive to my advantage of making more space?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Simply put, move files to it to free up space on your internal drive. If you have files that don't absolutely need to be on your Mac with you at all times, move it to an external HD. An external HD can also be a great way to backup your data.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that. BUT I STILL NEED HELP WITH THE EXTERNAL HARDRIVE PLEASE!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that. BUT I STILL NEED HELP WITH THE EXTERNAL HARDRIVE PLEASE!!!!!
Did you read what vansmith told you?

Member Of The Month for December '08.
It's only the internet!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz12 View Post
Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that.
Many people will, and me included now, not recommend Monolingual. Doing so damages the ability for some apps to update, such as MS Office. Be very careful using something like this.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

thanks. So i should just drag my files to the external HD icon?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Yes but do not drag OS files or even the Applications folder over there. Videos and other large files yes. Be warned though with files connected with say iPhoto. People have lost photos dragging things around. I keep my downloads, large videos I am working on, seldom used documents and other large files on my external.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Yes but do not drag OS files or even the Applications folder over there. Videos and other large files yes. Be warned though with files connected with say iPhoto. People have lost photos dragging things around. I keep my downloads, large videos I am working on, seldom used documents and other large files on my external.
Agreed. Only move files that are not implicitly or explicitly connected to the proper operation of a program. If you're not sure, you would be best to keep it where it is. That said, I'm sure you can find a lot to move.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

So, it doesnt seem to be working for me.

To be more specific. I have a iomega external hardrive with 250 GB. My internal HD is showing 1.93 GB. I plugged the external in and I dragged files such as documents and movies to the external hardrive. But it is not clearing up the regular hardrive. Since I have no space on the regular hardrive, I am unable to download updates for my apps or even to download songs.

I hope that helps to make it more clear about what I mean.
Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a way to make my files move over differently? Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You have to delete the files off your internal hard drive after you're done copying them to the external drive. Dragging them over simply copies them, not move them.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

Ohhhh.... Thanks so much. One last question.
What would you recommend moving over.
I have documents, movies
Do you recommend apps and music and pictures. or not?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Don't move apps, your iPhoto library or your iTunes library. As to what to move other than apps, it is entirely up to you. We don't know what you need access to on a regular basis .

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
kenz12

Thank y'all so much. I am pretty inexperienced in computers so now I have a new insight. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless keyboard and mouse compatible with Mac OS X V10.5.7 | Airport extreme vs airport express »