New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HDD folder now Unix Executable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

enchanted_angel

enchanted_angel is on a distinguished road

Just bought a new WD external drive and everything was working fine until I tried to copy some movie onto my brother's PC. The Movie folder on my external drive now reads as a Unix executable on my Macbook...? The data is still there on the drive I'm sure as it all shows up when I tried it again on the PC. Can anyone please show me how to change this folder so my Macbook will read and open the folder again?

Please help as they're family videos that are very precious to me!

.: White MacBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM
.: iPod mini 4GB
.: iPod video 30 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Big Dan

Big Dan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1

I'm not in OS X right now but you should be able to write click and set the properties of the folder to not be executable.

You can use this nice GUI app to remove the excutable permissions: Home of BatChmod

If not, open terminal cd (change directory) into the root folder of your extenal then chmod -R -x Movies/

That's tell it to remove the executable flag of the Movies folder and everything under it.
QUOTE Thanks
enchanted_angel

enchanted_angel is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but I'm kinda new at using terminal... when I go into the root and use Big Dan's given command line, it tells me that "chmod: Movies/: Not a directory"

Which permissions should I be removing if I use the BatChmod program? I'm so confused... :S

.: White MacBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM
.: iPod mini 4GB
.: iPod video 30 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Big Dan

Big Dan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini 1.83Ghz Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, running 10.6.1

You should be removing the executable permissions. Again I'm not back in OS X so I cannot open up BatChmod but it should be as simple as unchecking a little box either one that says Allow Executing Program as a file or by X under folder permissions.

I'm not sure of what permissions the external should be set at, every OS is different a normally / owns the drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Running both external HD and capturing from camera..? | Is a G5 2.7Ghz and a Intel 20" dual core compatible? »