New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Reformat Lacie hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrMoots

MrMoots is on a distinguished road

Hi all. New Mac user here.

I have a 1 TB Lacie hard drive that I used on my PC. I can't seem to be able to reformat it using the iMac utilities.

The instructions from Lacie says to use the utilities & select the partition tab. I don't see that tab anywhere.

Also, when I try to erase the contents I get an error code "61". I can't find any reference as to what that means.

I've copied what I wanted from the hard drive, now I just want to reformat to Mac so I can save to it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Mount your drive on the Mac desktop.

Select Applications, select Utilities, select Disk Utilities.

You should be able to "see" your LaCie drive and of course your MacIntosh HD and Superdrive. Here's how to format it:

1. Find the LaCie drive in the list of drives on the left.
2. Click on the line that shows capacity (GB)
3. Click erase at the top of the screen
4. Select the desired format - OS X Extended for Mac use only, or MS DOS for using the drive for both OS X and Windows.
5. Change the name of the drive if so desired
6. Click erase at the bottom of the screen, then click erase again on the second window. Wait until it's finished. (takes awhile)
7. You're done.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
andyincoogee

andyincoogee is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Thanks for your help, I followed the info advice given, but now it won't format, before it wouldn't write to the drive, now it won't write or even read the drive.

Any ideas?

When I try what you say, this message comes:

Disk Erase failed with the error:

File system formatter failed.

Any ideas?????
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why are trying to erase and reformat your drive? Were you getting errors before you attempted to erase it? The reason I ask is because it sounds like your drive has failed.
QUOTE Thanks
newday

newday is on a distinguished road

I followed instructions it worked for me thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hsmithmille

hsmithmille is on a distinguished road

well, I've been working all night to format some old LaCie portable drives formally used in a DOS environment and find that one needs first to format the drives using Windows 7 as a single partition, once accomplished, take the drive over to the MAC side and journal erase - this is complicated but rescues the un-rescueable
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for some special audio cables | Why won't my xbox controller work with my computer? »