New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which RAM to get for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pecchi17

pecchi17 is on a distinguished road

hi all

im new to the forum, i'm actually just posting a message to get some guidance on inserting ram into my mac, i have looked briefly but there seems to be so many different kinds for all the different types of macs, i've tried to look up my model but im still uncertain.

i use my mac for design purposed so needing more ram to speed up the programs etc

here is my system info

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

can anyone please advise

thank you very much

hope that info is what you'd need to help

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

According to Mactracker, you need 200-pin PC2-5300 (667mhz) DDR2.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

thats great, so do you guys think this will really help, my mac is great at the moment but very slightly struggles with running multiple programs, especially design programs

also is it easy enough to install the hardware?

legends
thank you
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

oh will that increase my ram by 2gb to 3gb or will i be replacing my 1gb of ram for the 2

or can i get 3gb or 4 gb of ram for my mac?

hope this makes sense
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

just copied and pasted the below ram
200-pin PC2-5300 (667mhz) DDR2

but when looking on amazon for example the mac branded ones say they are for laptop, will these fit my mac? with it not being a laptop, or is it ok to use the other brands, will these work and fit ok?

sorry
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

"Mac branded" RAM is the biggest scam. The only reason RAM is branded as "Mac-compatible" is so manufacturers can justify charging a premium. I use non-Mac branded RAM and have never had a problem nor have ever heard of problems with RAM due to the fact that it wasn't specifically "Mac-branded".

AFAIK, iMacs use notebook RAM. Someone with an iMac would be able to confirm that for you though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

hi again
i am looking at this - do you think this would be a good deal and do the trick

iRam 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz 200-Pin SDRAM SODIMM
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That looks to be one stick of RAM. The bets practice is to get pairs of RAM. So, instead of one 2GB stick, get two 1GB sticks. As for the brand, I have never heard of iRam so I can't vouch for their quality. For experience and from others, the best brands to go to are Crucial, Corsair or Kingston.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

hijust wondering, with my mac having 2 ram slots and there already being 1gb of ram in my computer, wouldn't adding the 2gb stick of ram give me 3gb of ram in total, this being better than 2 single 1gb ram sticks in each slot???

thanks for all your advise

j
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecchi17 View Post
hijust wondering, with my mac having 2 ram slots and there already being 1gb of ram in my computer, wouldn't adding the 2gb stick of ram give me 3gb of ram in total, this being better than 2 single 1gb ram sticks in each slot???

thanks for all your advise

j
Yeah it would be three GB of RAM although it's better to have matching pairs. You need to determine what the max amount of RAM your computer can support before you buy though.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

and the 1GB you have in there is probably 2 sticks of 512MB

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

I think the alum. iMac's can have 4GB of RAM. I would buy 2 sticks of 2GB because RAM is so affordable right now and the speed bump is so nice.

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
I think the alum. iMac's can have 4GB of RAM. I would buy 2 sticks of 2GB because RAM is so affordable right now and the speed bump is so nice.
Indeed, the iMac 7,1 can take 4GB. skye is right - get 2x2GB for 4GB if you can afford it (not that expensive). That would be your best bet.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
pecchi17

sounds good, i guess i'll do that, just wondering would it work better if i got the 2gb stick in one slot and the 512 in the other or better just keeping the 2 slots with 512

just wondering

guess i'll go for the 2 sticks adding to 4gb of ram
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this harmful? | External hard drive no longer mounts »