New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Replace the Guts in an ext Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dr dave

dr dave is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1

My Acomdata ext HD gave it up. I understand another disk can be installed in the enclosure. According to Acomdata (who gave good customer service for a device way out of warranty), it can be replaced by any 3.5 inch IDE/PATA drive so I assume boards that slide into the internal mounting grooves are a std size. Is that so? Also, are the four female receptacles (FW400, FW800, mini-USB, and A/C adapter) also mounted in std locations so they will fit in the holes in the enclosure? Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

It's one of those things that you'll understand better once you get the enclosure cracked open (assuming you have no experience with things of this nature).

NewEgg will have the drive for a good price.

There will be only two ribbon wires connecting the drive to the enclosure. One for data and one for power. The external ports (FW, USB, etc) are attached to a small circuit board in the enclosure. You won't have to mess with them at all.

Keep in mind that the actual enclosure circuitry could be fried and simply replacing the hard drive may not fix your problem.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

Surfwax95: The enclosure is open and the board removed. It is of one piece holding the drive and the female receptacles. Although the device is Acomdata, the actual drive assembly is a Western Digital WD Scorpio 160.0GB. I assume I can replace it with a WD Scorpio but what of other brands. Are the female receptacles' locations standardized?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

All 3.5" IDE (ATA) hard drives have the same power jack and 40-Pin IDC connector. Just be sure the drive you purchase is a 3.5" IDE (ATA).

Any of the drives here in this URL will work if what Acomdata told you was correct. What is the model of the Acomdata drive (on the case) so I can check? I bet they are correct though and it's IDE.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Internal Hard Drives,IDE Ultra ATA100,
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

It is model SHD160UFAPEW-54. It is dated Jul 2007. That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device. It is only two years but technology marches on. Thanks for your interest.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device.
Capacity is irrelevant. As long as you put the appropriate size (physical size, not digital size) and style, you should be fine.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
It is model SHD160UFAPEW-54. It is dated Jul 2007. That brings up the question of replacing it with a larger capacity device. It is only two years but technology marches on. Thanks for your interest.
Is this your drive?

Acomdata SHD160UFAPE-54 Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - Storage

If so it claims it's a 2.5" drive. That will make the URL I gave you above wrong as those are 3.5".

PROVANTAGE: AcomData SHD160UFAPE-54 160GB 2.5" HD Combo

This also says 2.5" drive.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Yeah I was wonderin caause the WD Scorpio's are laptop drives, 2.5 inchers....

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrowser View Post
Yeah I was wonderin caause the WD Scorpio's are laptop drives, 2.5 inchers....
That is why I asked the OP for the model of the drive as something just did not seem right.
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

Between the double lines is what the Acomdata tech support said. First is his response; next is my question that was written before I had disassembled the unit to discover that the disk itself is Western Digital.
=========================================
Any model 3.5” IDE/PATA hard drive should work fine.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

[Some text deleted to avoid identifying the techie who wrote]

Subject: Re: AcomData Tech Support Request

.... If I wanted to put a third party hard drive (or one of yours) in that enclosure, what would I buy?
================================================== ===

But that is irrelevant. You guys are correct. I removed the drive from the enclosure and measured the round part where the disk lives. 2.5 in. Nice catch! Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Data Transfer Very Slow From Mac To External | Logitech G15 Keyboard Problem »