New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Thinking of getting a removable HDD, what do you think?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hey there boys & girls!!

Just a matter of opinion really, I have a 12" iBook G4 with a standard 30GB HDD. Dont get me wrong i love my iBook and think tis a great little machie. However, recently i have been doing a bit of the old video editing and have found that my HDD (of which i normally have about 15GB free) quickly fills up when i am importing DV files and editing etc...

So... in the beginning i made myself a removable HDD using a standard 80GB HDD and an external housing kit. But i dont know what the problem with it is but it just doesnt like to work and is really un-reliable. Which i cannot have when storing important files!

So anyways, i have thought about it and am looking at the following HDD:

Maxtor One Touch II USB/Firewire External HDD

The website i am looking to buy it from has it for approx 130 for the 200GB version.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or can i get better for my money?

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
mdscouter

I just bought the same HDD only at 120GB yesterday. It is a great idea. Loaded my hubby's games - which seem to keep growing on my Powerbook and backup up all of my files on it. The only thing I can not seem to run is their automatec backup program. I keep getting execution errors. But is very easy to install and setup as an extra drive for your notebook. Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris
Hey there boys & girls!!

So anyways, i have thought about it and am looking at the following HDD:

Maxtor One Touch II USB/Firewire External HDD

The website i am looking to buy it from has it for approx 130 for the 200GB version.

Do you guys think this is a good deal or can i get better for my money?

Regards,

Chris.
Looks good to me... I have been using an older Maxtor 120 gig USB drive as a back up drive for quite a while and it has always worked just fine. This one has both USB and firewire so it should boogie right along...
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I have the 250GB one touch blue and silver model and it's a great drive, not yet had any problems, it just works.

Don't expect much from the software that comes with it, I tried it out a few times but didn't like it much. Not that it matters as their are lots of backup software programs out their for a small fee and for free. I'd go for it !! :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Just one more question then,

How do i get round the problem of cross-platform storage?

I use both XP and MAC OSX OS' and i know MAC cannot write to NTFS, and PC wont let me format a drive higher than 32GB as a FAT32.

Would it be a good idea to simply create two partitions? One NTFS for my Windows storage and one as FAT32 or a MAC-formatted disk for my OSX Storage needs?

I do video editing you see and it is killing my poor little iBook space wise!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Chris, :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
Haddy

Will os x let you format fat32 larger than 32GB?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

os x cant format as fat 32, and thats why its fat"32", only 32 gigs per partition, but its the only format xp and os x will read and write to.
QUOTE Thanks
Haddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
os x cant format as fat 32, and thats why its fat"32", only 32 gigs per partition, but its the only format xp and os x will read and write to.
What format does osx run?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

hfs(aka mac os extended), hfs+(aka mac os extended with journaling), and unix file system(ufs)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
FAT32 can support a lot higher than 32gb. The 32 in FAT32 stands for the number of bits used for cluster addressing.
QUOTE Thanks
Haddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
FAT32 can support a lot higher than 32gb. The 32 in FAT32 stands for the number of bits used for cluster addressing.
After a little googling it apears that mynameis is correct. Windows just cant format above 32GB but it is possible. A few reports mentioned using partition magic to make the partition larger after creating it...
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddy
Windows just cant format above 32GB
I am pretty sure Windows can go above 32gb.
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

A FAT32 partition is easiest. Alternatively you could buy MacDisk for your windows machine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Illustrator 10 EPS to Quark 6.5 full rez causes shutdown | emac won't sleep! »