New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Mew MBP hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TimWinter

TimWinter is on a distinguished road

So MacMall has a new offering for a 2.4 15" MBP that has 4 gigs ram and a 7200 rpm hd for $200 over base price.

Couldn't get the cache info on the hd or who makes it. Wondering if anyone would have access to that info.... Put it another way I know one could get a base model and upgrade myself but it would cost just about the same. Rather have them do it and be done with it. Just don't know if a factory 7200 drive would be worth it for DAW purposes if cache is not large enough and or is it a noisy drive etc.... From what I understand the cache is even more important than the rpm speed. Am I wrong? And I know that having an external drive would best for large projects and all, but I also know that much can be done without an external as well. I will be using a ULN-2 +dsp with the Mac.

I know how much we like to tweak stuff with "the best" gear.... Just wondering if apple has the "right stuff" out of the box.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Moved to Hardware forums

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Why don't you call a sales rep at Mac Mall and ask? I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you which make and model hard drive they install. Then you can look it up yourself and find out how large the cache is.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
TimWinter

TimWinter is on a distinguished road

Well I did email them and this is what was replied:

I checked the specs! I can’t find the cache on the disc.

So basically the rep looked at the info online as I already did..... Didn't even bother to check with the tech dept..... Oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

MacMall - my guess - the call takers are on commission, so customer interests come second, if at all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery Problems! | Mouse for my new macbook pro? »