New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Seagate Freeagent Formatting Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

grnlan03

grnlan03 is on a distinguished road

I just received a new 1TB seagate free agent HD. The hard drive said it was only for windows but it was on sale and I figured I could reformat it when I got it.

I have been trying to reformat it as HFS+ but it will not work. It says that the formatter has failed. I can format it as FAT32 but I need to store files above 4GB.

I think seagate must have put something on the drive to block reformatting in HFS+ or anything similar. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to get around it?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
micah

micah is on a distinguished road

Seagate is out to rip off Mac users - there's no other way around it. Charging a premium for the "mac version" - even though we don't need or want their silly backup software - is absurd.

They have purposefully made it difficult to reformat their "PC only" drives (?!?!) in order to protect the software on it, but shutting it off to Mac formatting was just a slap in the face.

You can reformat the PC version using a utility called Drive Genius, which is available from the Apple website.

If you don't want to buy more software, you can use the terminal command to reformat the drive:

diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ newdisk disk1

"newdisk" = the name you want to format it with
"disk1" = the mount point for the little Seagate B*tch (find this by control-clicking on the drive in "disk utility"

Just waiting to see what other charming easter eggs these swine have left on the drive. What a mistake.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB bus powered enclosure for external HD? | installing hard drive »