New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

external monitor issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Minstral

Minstral is on a distinguished road

I have a Viewsonic 22 inch monitor hooked up to my Macbook.
For whatever reason, I am unable to set the external monitor to its optimal resolution. I thought it was a Viewsonic driver issue, but they after contacting them they assured me it was an issue with my Mac.
Is there no way to separate the Macbook's screen settings from the external monitor's?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

You should be able to adjust them after hooking both up deselect mirroring and you should now have two planes one for each monitor and then adjust the res on the external monitor

Hope this helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstral View Post
I have a Viewsonic 22 inch monitor hooked up to my Macbook.
For whatever reason, I am unable to set the external monitor to its optimal resolution. I thought it was a Viewsonic driver issue, but they after contacting them they assured me it was an issue with my Mac.
Is there no way to separate the Macbook's screen settings from the external monitor's?
Your MacBook (you didn't say which model you have) should detect the Viewsonic monitor and offer the correct native resolution for it. If you can't display the native resolution, it may be related to how you have the monitor hooked up to your MacBook.

How is the monitor hooked up? What kind of an adapter and cables are you using? Also tell us which MacBook you have.

Post back.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Minstral

Minstral is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your replies.
Sorry I didn't mention which model!
It's a 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo (not quite 2 years old), running 10.4.11

I'm not on mirroring mode, so that's not the prob, but every now and again, a little message appears and tells me I should select 1680 X 1050 (if I'm now remembering correctly) but this choice is oddly unavailable in my display preferences...?
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

what is the native res for your viewsonic

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Second Mighty Mouse won't work | USB Camera Pen Problems »