New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HDD not mounting or appearing in disk utility but has worked

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Bummer! To answer your archive and install question, no you won't lose any files. It just reinstalls the OS and keeps all else.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
tootallUK

tootallUK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)

I think I'm having a similar problem with my ext HDDs... I have a Maxtor 150GB One-Touch a Firelite 100GB AND a Firelite 160GB that was bought to replace the first drive and all of them light up, spin up but do not mount, even when trying in Disk Utility...
I get messages like this when I try to repair or verify the disks, which do show up in Disk Utility...

Verifying volume “MAXTOR 150 GB”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure_
The volume MAXTOR 150 GB needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Verify and Repair disk “MAXTOR 150 GB”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure_
Volume check failed.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

I am just about to try to find them on an ancient PC I have with XP on it, but will re-installing Tiger (I have a G4 iBook) perhaps do the trick, if a recent update is messing things up??

QUICK UPDATE - just plugged the Maxtor into the PC and although I get a message bubble informing me "This device would work better with USB 2.0" and I see the taskbar logo to allow me to stop and safely disconnect the drive, it does not show up when I search for it in "My Computer"

Where's the right-click button?
QUOTE Thanks
kalani96746

kalani96746 is on a distinguished road

This is absolutely the 10.5.7 update I did. It stopped working after the update and is in perfect physical condition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac8,1 RAM. | Apple Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse probs »