New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Can I use my laptop as a monitor for a PowerMac 6100? And complete reformat advice?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

eternal_capture

eternal_capture is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, OS X version 10.5.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hey there,
We need to get rid of a Power Mac 6100, but it has to be reformatted first and I was told the monitor is no longer working. I'm wondering if I can use my Mac Book Pro as a the monitor some how? I haven't seen the 6100 yet to compare cables and my connectors, but I was hoping maybe one of you would know off hand.

ALSO, I read that Mac has software built in to securely delete all files unlike the hoops PC users have to jump through. Is that true? This computer was used for years and year and years by my boyfriend's mom and I'm sure it has tons of personal, private, information on it that should be completely erased.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Not sure about the monitor, does the 6100 have Firewire even?

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_capture View Post
I'm wondering if I can use my Mac Book Pro as a the monitor some how? I haven't seen the 6100 yet to compare cables and my connectors, but I was hoping maybe one of you would know off hand.
No.

Notebooks cannot be used as monitors for desktop systems.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
eternal_capture

eternal_capture is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro, OS X version 10.5.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Bummer.

Yeah, I think our only option to hook it up to my computer is the monitor cable. Even if it does have firewire, the cords to hook it up to something else are long gone.

I read that I could use VNC to access the hard drive over the network, but it'll be slow and almost unusable even at that point. I'd hate to buy the software only to find that I can't do what needs to be done.

Thanks for your input!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Just take out the hard drive and drive a nail throw it. Unless you know someone who wants the 6100, if you donate it some place its going in the dumpster.
Find a Machead that would like to fool with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Networking printer | Turn Off G3 Internal Monitor? »