New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MacBook - usb drive - remove automatically

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tintincute

tintincute is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm new to Mac and I'm wondering if you can just simply remove your USB stick like in Windows, where you can set it that you can just simply remove it without losing your files?

Can you also do that in Mac or do you have to unmount/remove it properly?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cheese-g-romit

cheese-g-romit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.1 GHz

you can just eject it by opening 'macintosh HD', and finding the usb in the list, and clicking the eject icon next to it
QUOTE Thanks
tintincute

ok I've tried to eject it and it says that it can't be close because some files are still in use.

If I just take it right away, will I lose my files?
Because in Windows if it's still in use and if you configure the USB stick to just simply take it without losing your files, you can just do that.

Is it the same in Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
cheese-g-romit

youll have to try quitting your applications so that the files are not in use, it usually does this to me so i just take it out, i never lose anything but i'm not recommending it! maybe i just got lucky
QUOTE Thanks
tintincute

ok thanks ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
cheese-g-romit

no prob
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Or you can just drag it to the trash, or highlight it and press the eject key.

Windows actually works the exact same way, it's just that it won't warn you by default like OS X does. If you pull a USB drive out while there's an active session with an application, you *will* lose data or damage the file system (or both).

This is the reason that there is an icon down in the system tray on Windows XP and Vista that if you hover over it says "Safely Remove Hardware". It's often hidden because most Windows users are blissfully unaware of its existence and purpose.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You are getting those warnings because you are working off the USB, which is a big no no.

Windows does give you those alerts actually. Well I get them in Vista when I have a window still open that belongs to a USB folder. It's kind of annoying because I'm not working with any of the files. >_<"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where in UK can I get a new microphone for Imac? | Ministack, powerbook and hub »