New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

getting everything back from an external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deathtolife04

deathtolife04 is an unknown at this point

OK so bear with me here, I am pretty clueless. ha

I just got a new hard drive put in because my other one died. I have most of my stuff on an external drive, but I am having issues figuring out how to transfer certain things over.

Would I have had to specifically create a backup file of my ical/bookmarks/address book to transfer them over? Or is there another way to do that? I can see ical events on the external drive. Like- if I type in "birthday" in spotlight I see a list of ical events pop up. But it won't let me do anything with them. It won't even let me apple+i them to see where they are located. Are those files pretty much useless to me?

Even more important than my iCal is my bookmarks. I had SO many things bookmarked and I can't find a way to bring them back! I somehow imported some really old bookmarks into my safari. Like- ones I thought I had deleted a long time ago! But I wasn't seeing any files with my newer bookmarks. Is there a certain file type I could search for or something to figure that out? Or are they gone for good?

And- is there a way to import my ical/address book from my iPod touch?

And also- what is the best way to go about importing my iPhoto photos? There are so many folders within the iPhoto Library folder that I just don't know how to go about that without making a mess! There's the data folder, the import folder, the ipod photo cache, modified, and originals. And does the "album data.xml" do me any good? Or any of those other random files in that folder ending in like ".data" and ".iphoto"?

And one last question- is there any way to get my stickies back?

Sorry for all the questions! I am just so lost without all my bookmarks and ical events and everything.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

have you tried migration assistant, it is in Utilities

It is designed to get all your apps and settings from an older mac or back-up drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

OK I just tried migration assistant, and it ended up creating an even bigger disaster!!

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
deathtolife04

anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

The first question is - how did you put the stuff on your Ext HD in first place?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for new mouse and ram advice for MBP | New N spec modem routers »