New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

I can't print seperations! Do I need a postscript printer? Can you suggest one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

charlan

charlan is on a distinguished road

As a graphic designer I have recently upgraded to adobe cs3 which intern had to update my operating system to Max os X 10.5.1 on my G5 iMac. I currently use a hp officejet 5510 (all in one) but since upgrading a can no longer print to adobe postscript writer to get any seperations etc. In the print dialog box I actually have no options other than to print either portrait or landscape, scale - the basics. This happens in all applications. Does Mac os x 10.5.1 no longer support adobe postscript writer? The printer I have currently is not a postscipt printer. I think this could be the problem. Am I right in thinking this? If so, I am looking to upgrade to a colour laser printer all in one. Speed is not important. Price wise I would like it to be under the $1000 if possible. Have been looking at the samsung CLX 6210 FX. What are your thoughts. Does any one have any sugestions?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Especially if you are printing to a non postscript printer it is best to print from a PDF

You have the option in Acrobat's advanced printing prefs to print separations from Acrobat

You can also use acrobat Pro to see separations on screen, which is fast and very handy. Its under the Tools menu > Print production > Output Preview

InDesign also offers live separations previews Windows > Ouput > Separations preview

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
charlan

charlan is on a distinguished road

Thank you louishen
I have just tried the acrobat advanced printing production> output preview and yes I can see them on screen. Thankyou. But when I go to print through file> print> print (since there is no other options here other than preview pdf and print) with one seperation clicked on, it still only prints CMYK.
Tried the Indesign and yes I found the window> output> seperations preview but again still could not print the seperations. Do you think my problems would be resolved if I bought a postscript printer?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

At one time Konica Minolta had a Color laser postscript printer the magicolor 5450. Look for a used one to save some $.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Watching Subtitles in "Apple TV" | OS X install hangs on destination disk »