New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Speakers aren't working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikebp

mikebp is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys'
I'm new to this forum and I'd appreciate some help.

I'm using a MacBook Pro on OX 10.4.11 and recently my external speakers just stopped working.

Tried all the usual stuffreferences, System Profiler , checked mute etc. no joy. Bought a brand new set of Bose speakers (well someone has to do it).

Mac just won't see them.

Any suggestion woul be truly appreciated.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Have you tried plugging them in to another source to confirm the speakers are working properly?

Also, do the speakers have a two-inputs and a 'source selection' button? If they do, could you have possibly accidentally pressed this and now it is set to the other input.
QUOTE Thanks
mikebp

Thanks for your reply.

No speakers are OK and they do not have a source selection button.

I'm starting to wonder if it is a software problem.

Maybe a system update was buggy, because they were working until recently.

M
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

One thing we have seen many times is the output jack get stuck in Optical Digital mode. With the speaker plug out of the jack, look down the jack's hole. Do you by any chance see a red light in the hole?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Try this menubar item called SoundSource. It will let you change your output source among the various available ones. Make sure your Output is set to Line Out (assuming you are using the Line Out jack).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mikebp

Thanks both of you but...

No red light, SoundSource tells me "output not supported" most options greyed out.

wtf?
QUOTE Thanks
Greyspot Design

Greyspot Design is on a distinguished road

is it plugged into the correct port? make sure its plugged into the output and not the input.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebp View Post
Thanks both of you but...

No red light, SoundSource tells me "output not supported" most options greyed out.

wtf?
Hmmm... that seems to suggest you have broken hardware or perhaps a driver corrupted or not loaded. To be sure... create a new user and log into that user. Do not install or import anything. If you continue to fail to hear anything, then you probably have a hardware issue. You may want to try running the Hardware Test, located on one of your factory CDs, and see what it has to say.
MacBook and MacBook Pro: Using Apple Hardware Test

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mikebp

Thanks life

No joy, new user makes no difference (can't find my factory CDs of course)

Unless anyone can think of anything else I have to take the Mac in

M
QUOTE Thanks
mikebp

Thanks grey,

Speakers are plugged into output.
QUOTE Thanks
mikebp

Eureka!

Grey was right...Doh!.....I'm a tosser, been using Macs for 18 years, still cock it up.

Thanks guys
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reinstalling Tiger | Is the Samsung 2243SN a good choice? »