Question External hard drive transfer problems
    Hi everyone,

this is my first post, so apologies if this may have been covered elsewhere, but I'm getting seriously frustrated with this issue!

I've just recently been given an iMac and I'm trying to access my files and use my previously PC-mounted external hard drive as my iTunes library and general storage for everything else. However, I'm having permission issues in that it will only allow me read-only status. I followed instructions from other forums and google searches that said I should install macFUSE and NTFS-3G drivers and this would solve the issue, which it did. Then my girlfriend turned off the hard drive accidently at the wall socket and once I remounted it, it has returned to read-only once again and even re-installing the drivers makes no difference!!!

Any help????

Thanks,
    Adam

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    MacFUSE and NTFS-3G are not exactly the most stable products. If you have to leave the external formatted as NTFS, you should consider a product like Paragon's NTFS for Mac, which is stable and easy to use (it also has a component that you can install on Windows to read/write Mac partitions).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    MacFUSE and NTFS-3G are not exactly the most stable products. If you have to leave the external formatted as NTFS, you should consider a product like Paragon's NTFS for Mac, which is stable and easy to use (it also has a component that you can install on Windows to read/write Mac partitions).
    Thanks, tried this and it seemed to work. Only thing is, the contents of the folder on my hard drive where all my music is (over 85GB worth) seems to have disappeared and iTunes can't locate any of the files either! The folder itself is still there, but when I go to look at it, it just says the folder is empty! This is so weird...

Hope it's not too late... same thing happened to a friend of mine, but I successfully recovered all of his files using Data Rescue's Deep Scan on the failing hard drive. You can download Data Rescue from Prosoft site and give it a try. And never, ever again use NTFS disks under Mac OS X! (or at least, use them with iNTFS - only under Snow Leopard).

Thread Information