New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Seagate or Western Digital?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

So, I got $100 for my birthday and I want to buy a new hard drive.

I'm going 320GB, and Seagate and Western Digital are the same price.

I just wanted to see if you had a brand preference, to help sway me, as I've had great experiences with both companies.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If you want to look at benchmarks, the Seagate is faster and uses less energy.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

WD has really caught up to Seagate in recent years in terms of reliability. That didn't used to be the case.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm actually in the same boat you are - I'm looking to upgrade my MB HD to a 320 and the Seagate and WD drives are both $87.

I'm sure though that you will hear opinions from both sides. To me, Seagate and WD are both good and well-ahead of others like Samsung in terms of quality. I'm sure you'd be happy with either.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Tough choice - I've got the WD, the Seagate wasn't available at the time - it's virtually silent and I'm totally happy with it's speed also - boot time went from 45 seconds to 21 using SuperDuper! to copy my system to the new drive - it's up to about 28 now, with a couple more things loading at startup

think cwa has the Seagate and would bet he likes it as much as I like the WD

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Well, I do believe it's almost time for me to head out to Micro Center, and consensus amongst my friends was Western Digital, amongst 4chan (yeah, I know) was Seagate, and on here, WD was the leader, so I'm thinking I'll be getting the Western Digital drive.

And besides, if I wanted to get the Seagate one, I could get it at this website I found that has really reasonable prices, I mean look how much they're asking for the Seagate drive!

Talk about a bargain!

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I voted Seagate, but I have noticed that their 7200.11 series has had some reliability problems.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way, as long as you stay far away from the likes of Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi and (to a much lesser extent) Fujitsu (in that order).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
And besides, if I wanted to get the Seagate one, I could get it at this website I found that has really reasonable prices, I mean look how much they're asking for the Seagate drive!
Where did you find that? What national currency is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I really don't think you can go wrong either way, as long as you stay far away from the likes of...Toshiba...
I couldn't agree more. Avoid Toshiba computer parts like the plague. I have seen too many people suffer from poor quality Toshiba computer products.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Where did you find that? What national currency is that?
That is USD my good man. Some website is selling an $85 hard drive for over $3,000 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Avoid Toshiba computer parts like the plague. I have seen too many people suffer from poor quality Toshiba computer products.
Anything with "ATCHI" "ITSU" or "SHI" in the name is generally to be avoided in all aspects of my purchases, be it cars, electronics, or even food stuffs (Sushi is disgusting).

Also, I picked up the WD drive because, well, they were out of the Seagate anyway.

I interpreted it as a sign from God, grabbed the Western Digital and went on my way.

Also got a nifty precision screwdriver.

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If I could sell 2 of those a month at that price, I'd give up my job right now!
Add a 3rd and my wife could give up hers.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dad2b

Dad2b has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I went for Hitachi in my PB. I found that after reading 100's of reports and trying machines with them fitted these where what i wanted. Also they seemed to sell the quickest also.
QUOTE Thanks
rtabish

rtabish is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: B&W G3/400/1gig/OS 10.4

if its any consideration, i think WD has a bit better product support. i have run what-ever HDs i could get my hands on over the years, and find that seagate need less help, but WD offers more if you do run into problems.

now, about those quantum fireballs......

Rob Tabish
"It ain't old if it still works"
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The two drives will be essentially the same performance-wise (the only notable differences are going to be in synthetic benchmarks, which do not translate into real world benefits). The thing you want to look into is the warranty. Most likely the Seagate has a five year warranty as opposed to Western Digital's three year warranty. That fact alone has pushed me into purchasing primarily Seagate drives, even if I have to pay a little more.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
The two drives will be essentially the same performance-wise (the only notable differences are going to be in synthetic benchmarks, which do not translate into real world benefits). The thing you want to look into is the warranty. Most likely the Seagate has a five year warranty as opposed to Western Digital's three year warranty. That fact alone has pushed me into purchasing primarily Seagate drives, even if I have to pay a little more.
I agree, but I learned just recently that WD is starting to do 5 year warranties too. So, in light of Seagates recent issues with their 7200.11 drive series, I think I'm going to be more apt to recommend WD in the future.

I actually have two seemingly dead drives in my NAS. Haven't determined whether they've been bitten by the firmware bug that I was referring to above, but it seems odd that they appeared to go belly up with an unexpected power-loss. Still investigating, but Seagate's website tells me that these particular mechs are unaffected by the issue. I have to hook them up to a Linux box to see if they'll actually be accessible to get the data off, but right now, the NAS won't see them at all.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Agreed with CWA. I have always been a Seagate person and purchased Seagate drives when I had the chance, but this recent firmware issue has me a bit concerned. I am sure it will pass and all be solved, but at present I am recommending WD for now
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Storage | Mighty Mouse - Windows XP »