New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Upgrading RAM in a Dell Inspiron 600m

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhillyEagles5

PhillyEagles5 will become famous soon enough

Ok so for portibilty I'm using a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. It has 512mb of RAM but can be upgraded to 2mb. I want to upgrade but I don't know whether to upgrade to 1gb or max it out to 2gb. I don't use any memory hog programs. Will I see a change in performance from 512mb to 1gb? How about 512mb to 2gb? Any opinions would be great.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Max it out to 2 gig, but its odd you have come to a Mac forum to talk about upgrading a Dell

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As cheap as memory is these days, there really is no reason not to upgrade any system to it's max.

It is a 4 yr old system though. If you're running one of the memory hog anti-virus programs like Norton or McAfee on it, I'd get rid of those first. Go with Antivir or AVG and see how the machine responds to that first. Along with the regular maintenance and cleaning everything that's loading at start up through msconfig.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

No question... 2GB

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

2 gigs.

You must not be running Vista if you have been getting by with 512 mb.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer offline | Reinstalling Tiger »