New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Strange problems with Apple Cinema Display...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Hey everyone,

Recently (well yesterday) I began to have problems with my ACD.

Basically, it would keep turning on and off on its own. It would vary from 2 seconds on up to 30 then off again.

I checked all the connections, which were fine, and done a couple of restarts which never did anything.

So, I plugged in a old Dell monitor (2005FPW) and it ran fine for 45 mins of testing.

I called Apple Customer Care, who suggested resetting resetting the PROM (cmd+alt+p+r) on the PC. This seemed to fix the problem as worked fine all last night.

Now, I fired the PC up tonight and and something was turning the brightness up to full (normally at 50%), I could turn it down but it would shoot up again. I restarted, with the BT keyboard switched off and it still done it - buttons on the monitor didn't respond.

10 minutes later it's running fine and has been since.

Just wondering if any of you know what could be the problem here, the guy at Apple could only suggest resetting the PCs PROM then it would've been an exchange.

But I don't want to go through the hassle and when it doesn't do it all the time I'm wary to send it back incase it doesn't do it.

I also have a video of it turning on and off if these could provide a clue?

Many thanks in advance.

Marty
QUOTE Thanks
smokemirrors

smokemirrors is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have experienced the same problem and all I can say is user beware. The new unibody computers and older cinema displays are incompatible. The end result for me was a fried hard drive that apple just replaced. Needless to say I am shopping for a new display.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« hardware for backup | Anyone have the new Alum. Macbook with Cinema display? »