New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

When will SSDs become cheaper?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

livinitup1

livinitup1 is on a distinguished road

I looked on YouTube to see the speed of SSDs vs HDD and they are super fast. I plan on getting a Macbook this year and I see that Apple offers a 256GB SSD drive. The capacity is right up my alley but the cost is still too high. It's about $850 when the 250GB HDD is included. I hear that SSDs are lowering in cost about every 4 months so hopefully a 256GB SSD will only be $250 or less by November. I hear they have fast read/write speeds, are lighter, have no moving parts and have high durability but also have limited write cycles compared to HDD. Hopefully they can fix this by the time I buy one because SSDs are the future of storage. Will you guys be getting an SSD in the near future?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It depends. There are two kinds of SSDs - MLC and SLC. MLC SSDs are the drives that you're seeing drop in price, and that's because although they're faster in read speeds, they are extremely slow for write speeds (much slower than normal hard drives).

SLC drives are less prevalent and are mostly holding their values, these are the drives that are high performance both in reads and writes.

Personally, I'm waiting for the technology to mature. I think it's going to be awhile. For right now, the performance disparity is not great enough to make me want to switch.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Ahh, I see. That does change things. I guess I can stick with HDD for the moment. Which ones are Apple using? The price has changed for some of them so I guess it's the MLC ones.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't know, but with the prices they're charging, I'd hope they're SLCs.

If I were you, I'd buy it with a hard drive and replace it sometime down the road if you feel the need to. It's as simple as swapping the drive mechanism, which is a user-serviceable part on all MacBook and MacBook Pros since the latest update. And honestly, it will be a lot cheaper from a 3rd party, and you'll know exactly what you're getting.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

Yeah, I'm thinking of just getting a Macbook with a 320GB HDD, keep it for 4 years and when SSDs are cheaper and more developed then I'll get it. They'll most likely fix the write speeds and cycles by then so no need to get ahead of myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

They'll get cheaper when more people start buying them, thus giving manufacturers incentive to increase production, whereby increased volume will decrease manufacturing costs.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

This might drive the price down ... or Apple might build its own SSD's.

NAND flash supply to tighten after Apple reportedly places large order

Cheers
McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBie View Post
This might drive the price down ... or Apple might build its own SSD's.

NAND flash supply to tighten after Apple reportedly places large order

Cheers
McBie
Saw that. One has to wonder what they need chips in that kind of quantity for.

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Saw that. One has to wonder what they need chips in that kind of quantity for.
If they design it properly, they might all fit in a Mac Mini

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

100 million 8GB chips. Seriously... even if they were installing 4 apiece in a new generation iPhone, that would mean 25 million units they intend to sell in fairly short order.

My guess (and I'm sure we'll see plenty of speculation on this), is that they're going to install 8 in a netbook type device.

QUOTE Thanks
livinitup1

I'm wondering how much longer the Macbook Air is going to be around because if Apple makes a Macbook Mini then why would they need the Macbook Air? The Macbook Air is expensive, very light and is low on processing power. The netbook would be inexpensive, light and low on processing power. People would just go with the netbook instead.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extension Cable for USB Keyboard | Belkin Media Reader-Writer ExpressCard Adapter »