New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

F-Keys

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LambdaEnt

LambdaEnt is on a distinguished road

I want to purchase a keyboard for my new iMac. I am very unsatisfied with the current Apple and other manufacturers design of placing the F-Keys in one contiguous line directly above the number keys. I use F-Keys with QuicKeys constantly, and I find their location by touch. The separation above the other keys, as well as being in groups in 4, is critical to my learned neurological touch/response. I've given it two months, an it just isn't working.

I had a Matias. It was great. I spilled juice on it and it croaked. They've stopped making them. Harrumph!

Logitech came out with two new Mac keyboards. They placed the F-Keys "correctly" in one (without a number pad), and "wrong" in the other. They are both Bluetooth.

Then we have the iMac Bluetooth issue. In a nutshell, the new iMac has trouble staying connected to a keyboard. There is no fix and Apple isn't talking. I've tried 3 keyboards, and gave up. Please don't elaborate on this here -- there are other posts for that.

I'm about at my wits end. I have scoured the internet, and seem to be stuck.

I am looking for a wired keyboard that has the F-Keys in their "rightful place" (separated above the number keys, and delineated in groups), has a full compliment (F1-F15), and has keys that are or can be QuicKeyed (can I use that as that a verb?) to adjust the volume.

A Windows keyboard with the right compliment of keys would be fine. I've found a few from some Chinese manufacturers (Mac Keyboard China Manufacturers) but not sure about their reliability or availability.

I would rather not have the touted, but noisy, mechanical keys, as my desk sits on the opposite side of a wall to my bedroom. If one of us is on the keyboard, it could disturb domestic tranquility!

Any suggestions?

"[Personhole] is not an acceptable de-sexed word."
-- Shirley Dean, councilperson, Berkeley (CA) City Council, explaining why the Council changed the wording in a sewer equipment request back to manhole cover.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Is there anything about these Matias keyboards (all available for sale) that don't meet your needs?
http://matias.ca/tactilepro2/index.php
http://matias.ca/osxkeyboard/index.php
http://matias.ca/usb2keyboard/index.php

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
LambdaEnt

LambdaEnt is on a distinguished road

In fact, someone else recommended those shortly after I made this post yesterday. Don't know why I didn't find them earlier, nor why they do not show up when searching Google for Mac keyboards.

At MacWorld in January, I learned Matias had stopped making the Tactile Keyboard, so I didn't even stop by their booth. Turns out, they have the Tactile 2 Keyboard!

I've already ordered a USB 2.0 Keyboard from OWC. It will be here in a few days, and I'll update this post with a review.

Thank you.

"[Personhole] is not an acceptable de-sexed word."
-- Shirley Dean, councilperson, Berkeley (CA) City Council, explaining why the Council changed the wording in a sewer equipment request back to manhole cover.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« NTFS-3G partition not found on Windows | Minor Irritation with Wireless Mighty Mouse »