New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

problems installing HP Officejet J4580 drivers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bionicbobt

bionicbobt is on a distinguished road

I just bought a HP Officejet J4580 and I am having a lot issues with it.

Had problems installing the drives from the provided disc. Ended up downloading them from the HP site.

Now both the scanner and copier work fine, but it will not print any documents. Tried printing off both an email and a Microsoft Word document.
Message just say Idle Waiting for Generic..... something.

Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? My receipt is good for 10 more days, should I get a different printer? Any recommendations? One of the forums suggested the Epson 740 is very popular with Mac Users.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? My receipt is good for 10 more days, should I get a different printer? Any recommendations? One of the forums suggested the Epson 740 is very popular with Mac Users.
I can't speak for the Epson, however, both HP and Canon printers generally work very well with Mac OS X. Besides, returning your HP printer may cost you a return fee because of the consumables.

When you go to System Preferences, Print & Fax, does your HP printer show up in the dialog? If it does, click on the box that says "Options & Supplies".

Next, select the Driver tab. Is the correct driver showing up? If not, use the scroll down arrow until you find the correct driver downloaded from HP. Select it and click OK. Exit out of System Preferences and try your printer again.

Let us know.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB Hub for MacBook Air | Time Machine with my Western Digital »