Need to format external to work with PC and Macbook
    I have an external USB harddrive that's formatted in a way that my Macbook can't seem to read it. Says it NTFS. I need to format it to something that both my Windows XP PC and my OSX 10.5 Macbook can read and write to. How would I do this?

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    You need to format the drive as FAT32. FAT32 is both readable and writeable from both operating systems.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Are there any drawbacks to formatting it to FAT32? I do a lot of video editting...

How do I go about doing that?

EDIT: Actually, can I run it on HFS+ for the Mac and run MacDrive on the PC? That seems to be the best method. However, I can't find a way to format the drive to HFS+ in Windows...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_goodbomb View Post
    Are there any drawbacks to formatting it to FAT32? I do a lot of video editting...

How do I go about doing that?

EDIT: Actually, can I run it on HFS+ for the Mac and run MacDrive on the PC? That seems to be the best method. However, I can't find a way to format the drive to HFS+ in Wi ndows...
    You're better offormatting in NTFS and then using something like NTFS for mac or MacFUSE to access the drive. With FAT32 you have a 4gig per file limit.
    Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
    PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
    2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
    Canon 30D, recently inherited!

HD ntfs and TC
    Hi Santino,

I have similar problem, if I went with your solution, would this solve the following problem:Hi, I hope your solutions may help with my problem. I have a time capsule and works brill with my mac's but I also have PC's with NTFS files system, I have an external HD NTFS that is not recognized when plugged into TC, I can see it but no options to access it on a Mac, not even for reading and on the PC, I can only see TC.

Would having two routers, solve this problem, so that I could attach the USB external HD to the router that is not TC?

Any other way of doing this? I think the problem I have that anything attaching to TC that is NTFS will not work. I also have an external HD Minimax that has USB in the back of it, could I maybe plug this to TC and format it into HFS (Mac system files) and then plug external HD NTFS to it?

I don't want to give up on TC as it is perfect for everything else but cannot for work reason leave my PC's out of the loop.

Thank you

Thread Information