New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Erasing free disk space

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Boomy

Boomy is on a distinguished road

When I tried to do this my free memory went to near zero, I currently have 29Gb free, I stopped it because I was confused. What does erasing free space do? Can I still use the space? Or does it make it unusable?
QUOTE Thanks
Boomy

Uhm... Anyone? Please?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

This link explains it:-

(Mac OS X 10.4): Erasing free disk space

By far it is much easier to just select 'Secure Empty Trash' under Finder.
QUOTE Thanks
Boomy

No it really doesn't.. It doesn't really answer my questions :l

So at the end of the erasing the space I will have no free space at all? Thats crap..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yes, it really does.

There is no reason the average user would ever need to erase free space. Since you're not familiar with what it does, am pretty sure you don't need to do this.

Both Windows and OS X, when you delete a file, the file is not actually deleted, only the pointer that tells the operating system where the file is located. The 'deleted' file is still there on your hard drive until such time as it is overwritten by new data and would be recoverable by most any data recovery software.

Erasing free space writes 0's to the drive, essentially overwriting whatever data was 'deleted', in order to make it un-recoverable.

If you do have a 'need' to do this, you must realize that it is writing 0's to all of the free sapce on the entire drive and should only be done while you are not using the machine. With a large drive, it could take a while to write 0's to the entire disk. Once the process has finished, all the free space will be returned to it's previous free space status.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Boomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Once the process has finished, all the free space will be returned to it's previous free space status.
To be honest thats all I needed to know :l Thx
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wired mouse problem | Adding More RAM? »