New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time machine advice..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT is on a distinguished road

I have a 500GB external Hard drive I've been using for some time now..

It is currently set as my "time machine backup disk," and when I selected it as so, it formatted the hard drive.

My question is, can I use a portion of the external hard drive to save files to that I don't intend to also have on my macbook while also using it as a time machine backup disk?

I would like to store movies on the external hard drive, but don't want them to also be on my macbook.

Thanks!
Neil

09' macbook 2.4, 4gb. 32" ilo "monitor" bt keyboard, mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Yes, you can. You will need to re-partition the drive and set aside the size you want to use for time machine and the rest can be your storage. You can do this on the fly in disk utility so you don't lose your time machine backups. I have mine set this way and it all works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Quicktime_GT

Quicktime_GT is on a distinguished road

Cool thanks!

I just ran disk utility, clicked the seagate HD, then partition then the "+" to add new partition then created a 150GB section to use for external files.

I'm going to run a time machine backup now just in case I lost something.

Thanks!

09' macbook 2.4, 4gb. 32" ilo "monitor" bt keyboard, mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Too late for you since you've already done it.

But, you do not need to have a separate partition for storage of other data. Time Machine does not require it's own partition.

I am using a single 1TB partition for the Time Machine back up for two Mac's, and also storing another copy of my iTunes library and quite a few movies.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Too late for you since you've already done it.

But, you do not need to have a separate partition for storage of other data. Time Machine does not require it's own partition.

I am using a single 1TB partition for the Time Machine back up for two Mac's, and also storing another copy of my iTunes library and quite a few movies.
Interesting, I guess I assumed that since time machine took the whole drive in setup that it needed to be dedicated. I really never tried it that way. Thanks for the heads up.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
Interesting, I guess I assumed that since time machine took the whole drive in setup that it needed to be dedicated. I really never tried it that way. Thanks for the heads up.
bobtomay is correct. The only prerequisite for using Time Machine is that the drive be formatted to HFS +. However, if the drive is to be shared between a Mac and a PC, (two different file systems) then your method of creating a separate partition for Time Machine would apply.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Portable DVD writer | Can two wireless mice be used in the same room? »