New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Macintosh PRAM Batteries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Here's a little experience I had that I thought some folks would find interesting...while I was doing some shopping for PRAM batteries.

I first went to a website called "WeLoveMacs.com" looking for one of the "flat" PRAM batteries used in Mac-Mini's, newer iMacs, and Mac Pro's. "WeLoveMacs" sells them for $29.95.

922-6476 Apple Mac Mini & G5 PRAM Battery (Lithium 3v), Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

I was like "OH MY GOD" are they insane! I was used to paying $4.95 for the PRAM batteries used in older Macs (the ones that are shaped like a short stubby AA battery)...and thought $29.95 for the newer style "flat" PRAM battery was CRAZY!

I then went to one of my favorite Macintosh suppliers OWC/MacSales to shop for the same PRAM battery...and they were selling them for $1.99!

3v Newer Technology Lithium CR2032 coin cell PR... (CR2032) at OWC

I thought "What a difference"...$29.95 vs. $1.99!

So I decided to e-mail "We Love Macs"...and see what the deal was with their HIGH price. They responded by saying that they purchase these "flat" PRAM batteries from Apple for $22.99, and then they mark them up to $29.95.

They said that they didn't realize that these "flat" PRAM batteries could be purchased cheaper somewhere else...seems one of their employees went to Radio Shack, and verified that these "flat" batteries (the same as Apple supplies) can be purchased for $1.99.

So long story short...hopefully they will purchase these "PRAM" batteries from a lower cost supplier in the future (other than Apple).

Of course this little experience/story also reinforces that everyone should definitely shop around before making a purchase.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Thanks for the heads up, thats quite a difference in price!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
Thanks for the heads up, thats quite a difference in price!
Yeah...there were some questions about PRAM batteries in another forum, and I needed a new PRAM battery for one of my Mac's...so I investigated...and found the BIG difference in price!

I couldn't believe when I saw it! It pays to comparison shop.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

In fact if you day a search of say eBay quoting the Lithium battery and number, you can get the for $1.95 a card at times. It is called marketing and everyone who handles the good adds their profit margin, sales taxes etc.

These batteries are used in a great number of watches and appliances.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SD Cards | External Display - Audio Interface Problem »