New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MP3 players and Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

motochick

motochick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20" 2.4ghz core 2, 4gb, 1T

I want to know if there are any MP3 players out there that I can use with my mac besides the obvious ipod. Here is what I want to do.

1. Download all of my cd's onto my mac
2. Put music from my mac into a MP3 player
3. I want to do this without using windows on my mac

Is there anything like this out there? It seems like if it isn't ipod, it is windows only, is that right? Thanks for the help.

Brenda
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Misconception: iTunes must be done with an iPod. Fact: No it doesn't.

You have an MP3 player of some non-iPod type. That's okay, I have a couple of those too. So what you do is tell iTunes to encode CD's as .mp3 files. Load up CD, tell iTunes to encode the CDs which puts the songs in your iTunes Library as .mp3 files which could be played on any music player that handles mp3s while tagging them as well. Keep doing this. Eventually you have a folder full of mp3 files which are in Music/iTunes/iTunes Music in album and artist folders with the actual files located in there.

Connect your non-iPod mp3 player and using Finder drag that folder to that mp3 player that shows up. Let that mp3 player do it's thing to arrange your music to it's liking to play it for you. It should use the tags that iTunes got when it first encoded them, so you can see what's playing and any album art on this non-iPod mp3 player. Unless it's really primitive, like some of my old mp3 players. Which is why I use an iPod.

Now, of course just getting an iPod would be simpler, but it is entirely possible to get CD-mp3-notiPod using iTunes. No Windows required. Or iPod.
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

Davidk02 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac

Everything that walkerj said is true. One problem I ran into though was the MP3 player not showing up as a drive. I use XNJB to transfer music to a creative zen player. I am sure there are other programs also. Just do your homework before you buy a particular model and you should be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
motochick

motochick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 20" 2.4ghz core 2, 4gb, 1T

Thanks for the quick response. I have a little Samsung YP-U3, and it works great for what I want. When I put it into my mac, all it does is charge. I don't know how to make the mac recognize it. I am pretty computer stupid so please excuse my ignorance. The files in the Samsung are WMA, does that make a difference? I just want to add some songs or replace some songs? Is this possible?

Brenda
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Read Solution #2. They claim it will work on OSX after this is done and with the program they recommend. Sort of complicated, but it if works....

Good Luck!

Mac cannot play it - FixYa
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bi-Directional Music-on-Hold Device? | external monitor problem »