New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Help W/ Choice On External

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thisisaustin

thisisaustin is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I'm looking for a safe external that is reasonably portable!
I need you guy's opinions please.

The Requirements: Can not require power cable (I'd prefer to not mess with that), Must be either 500 gigs or 1T. It must be configured for Mac & PC!!!

I've looked at Apple's Time Capsule and I like it alot. But I may just go with something simple and cheaper. I've looked at some others as well buy I want you guy's opinions pleasse!!!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Am thinking you've got a whole lot of looking to do.

The Time Capsule is out because is requires a power cable.

Why must it be configured as FAT32 from the factory? You can do that yourself once you get the drive. It's pointless to rule out a drive because of that.

Maybe, but I don't think you're going to find any drives over about 80 GB (maybe 160 GB) that do not require a separate power cable.

500 GB or 1 TB: That's a significant difference (half or double, depending on your viewpoint) in two drives. Sounds like you need more consideration in what size drive you really need.

But, if you really want to find one to fit all those parameters, here are 94 externals from 400 GB to 800 GB, and here are 63 drives at 1 TB.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

I have not seen any drives larger than 500gigs that do not require power.

I'm not sure which brand is best.

Amazon.com: Maxtor STM905003OTA3E1-RK OneTouch 4 Mini 500GB Portable Hard Drive: Electronics

Here's a USB-powered 500gb Maxtor, just to show that they do exist, lolz
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, that's nice to know. I haven't taken a hard look at drives in about a year now.

Although, I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole, just based on the ratings. 30 at 1 star and 27 at 4 or more. And it does require power. It just uses a 2nd USB port for power. No power adapter with it. So now you have a drive that takes up 2 of your USB ports.

QUOTE Thanks
thisisaustin

thisisaustin is on a distinguished road

so your saying if i just buy one configured for mac.. then i can still configure it for a pc? how would I do this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

To have a drive that is readable both in OS X and in Windows, you would format the drive as FAT32 by using Disk Utility.

QUOTE Thanks
Vinny Vegas

Vinny Vegas is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bump in on this topic but it fits what I'm looking for...so sorry for high jacking thread...

But I'm fairly newby...Nov 08 SWITCHER...have a currrent EHD but want to add another so I have a backup to backup...nervous something will go wrong or that someone told me all EHDs will go bad.

What EHD is best for price? 250-500 GB size...I have the MBP

Thx
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

I have this one, works great!!
Western Digital - My Passport Studio 500GB External USB 2.0/FireWire Portable Hard Drive - WDMT5000TN

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman766 View Post
I have several friends that use this and I must say they are quite and very
portable but not sure any of them use it for both Mac and PC they usually
have a separate one for that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Driver for Canon imageClass MF5650 | External Hard Drive. Can I connect direct to Macbook via Gb Ethernet? »