What is a decent keyboard for an iMac?
    When a friend was trying to get me to try a Mac, he was very upfront about the fact that I probably would not like the keyboard that is delivered with Apple's boxes. That was the understatement of the new century! When I finally got my new IMac, it only took a few minutes to come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by a rogue engineer in the pay of some company in Redmond. It is well made and looks good but I have seen Etch-A-Sketches that were more ergonomic.

I put my old IBM key clicker on the Mac and it was recognized and works fine but there are no usable control, option or command keys so it is a temporary solution.

Anyway, back to the Apple store where I found a real keyboard on a display model. But... they wouldn't sell it. Turns out that it has been discontinued and nothing is available but the flat thing.

I am sure that I can find a older keyboard on Ebay (if I can figure out what it is called, model wise) but there may be a third party offering that may be better.

So, are there any experienced Mac users out there with recommendations for a keyboard that has keytravel, tactile feedback and isn't built like one of Dell's plasticky junkers.

Thanks
    Konan

Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    I think eBay is your best bet. Just search for apple keyboard and sort out the stuff your not looking for. I found some older model keyboards for around $30.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

Specs:
    nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
    Hi Konan,

Well, I personally really like my Apple bluetooth aluminum keyboard - it even makes me type faster and more accurately.

Depending on how much cash you are willing to blow though, I'd take a look at Logitech's new Mac keyboard. You'll get it cheaper at some other online store too.

I bought the DiNovo Edge keyboard for my works PC, it does offer a very nice key response and like all Logitech products its well made.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    When a friend was trying to get me to try a Mac, he was very upfront about the fact that I probably would not like the keyboard that is delivered with Apple's boxes. That was the understatement of the new century! When I finally got my new IMac, it only took a few minutes to come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by a rogue engineer in the pay of some company in Redmond. It is well made and looks good but I have seen Etch-A-Sketches that were more ergonomic.

I put my old IBM key clicker on the Mac and it was recognized and works fine but there are no usable control, option or command keys so it is a temporary solution.

Anyway, back to the Apple store where I found a real keyboard on a display model. But... they wouldn't sell it. Turns out that it has been discontinued and nothing is available but the flat thing.

I am sure that I can find a older keyboard on Ebay (if I can figure out what it is called, model wise) but there may be a third party offering that may be better.

So, are there any experienced Mac users out there with recommendations for a keyboard that has keytravel, tactile feedback and isn't built like one of Dell's plasticky junkers.

Thanks
    Konan

You can reprogram the Windows, Ctrl and alt keys to match the regular OS X mappings under System Preferences.

Otherwise check out the Matias tactile pro: http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/

Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    You can reprogram the Windows, Ctrl and alt keys to match the regular OS X mappings under System Preferences.

Otherwise check out the Matias tactile pro: http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro/
    Ah So! Wondered about that but hadn't researched it yet. I love my old IBM clackity KB and can really whang the characters out fast on it. Hated the thought of giving it up. Maybe this will get it a few more years of use.

Of course, it has an estimated lifespan of 250 years.

Thanks a bunch. (and everybody else)
    Konan

Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.11 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
    I think eBay is your best bet. Just search for apple keyboard and sort out the stuff your not looking for. I found some older model keyboards for around $30.
    From way down under, a new Chicony generic k/b, with extra buttons for all sorts of things, cost the equivalent of US$6 two years ago, and it's still doing the job just fine. I think that brand, if available, is about US$11 now. I bought a generic XX brand k/b, more basic than the Chicony, two months ago for US$12, I use that with my G3 iMac. And if that isn't enough, I have a Genius PS2 k/b, with USB adaptor, on standby.

I also have a very tired Apple ext k/b for games, and a couple of ADB k/b's for my old G3. Macally still makes k/b's, they're very good, solid, with a great touch I've found, there are both wired and wireless models, eg. iKEYSLIM Macally Peripherals

Thread Information