New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Dead Hdisk Mac performa 6200

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazzabatwing

Hi, my friends mac 6200 performa hard disk died. I offered to help. I ordered a new disk,(probably the last one in existence). I have fitted it but have not yet tested it. Being a PC person I know little about Macs.
The new disk will be completely blank.
My question is ,what proceedures do I need to do to get the operating system back on?
Is there a Mac format disk or something special needed to get underway? My friend is not very tech savvy,so I will need very basic guidance here.
Thanks for any advice on this kit
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

You'll need installation CDs or floppies, preferably those that came with the model. Install the new HD (be sure to match the jumper to the setting on the old HD) then start up from CD or floppy. Once the computer is running you'll have to use the disk utility (called Disk Tool) to format the new drive. Once that is done you can install the operating system. If you have the original CDs you should have a CD called "Restore." if you use that CD it will install an exact copy of what the hard disk had on it - including the system - when it was bought.
QUOTE Thanks
gazzabatwing

Thanks very much for the info Badger .
regards
Gazza
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 4-port USB 2.0 firewire 400 hub | internet connection sharing with Tungsten T »