New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

emac won't sleep!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kosmicdog

really simply my emac won't go to sleep unless I put it to sleep myself. The monitor will shut down at the right time but the fan keeps running and the light stays on (the one that is supposed to 'snore' while the computer is asleep). i called apple and they had me zap the nvram?? i think. anyway it worked for like one day. unfortunately the software/tech support expired while i was out of the country and came back to the computer not sleeping still! has anyone had this problem? i feel like apple doesnt care about this problem because emacs are so inexpensive. the service is great on my powerbook and G5 but the computer at home now stays up all night and i can hear the fan from my bedroom while I try and sleep!... help!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Do you have any apps running and user logged on?
QUOTE Thanks
kosmicdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Do you have any apps running and user logged on?
I have tried all combinations. no apps, apps, login window. it just doesnt go to sleep by itself. Shouldn't it go to sleep even if i have apps running, i would like it to. is this a software problem? I will send it to apple if its a hardware problem because its still under warranty for hardware. or i might just break down and buy applecare.. which i would have bought anyway except that i dont like being 'forced' to buy it when they should have fixed this problem for me months ago... anyway. :robot:
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Open system preferences and click energy saver. All the auto sleep options you wanna use are there
QUOTE Thanks
kosmicdog

thanks.. i know where the sleep options are.. the problem is they do not work. the computer never goes to sleep.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

make sure the screen saver activation time is less than the sleep time, or it wont sleep, itll wwait for the screensaver.
QUOTE Thanks
kosmicdog

thanks again, i tried that also. it really seems more of a bug in the system than anything else. As i mentioned earlier, zapping the nvram allows the system to work properlly but only for a couple of hours before it stops going to sleep again. so this is not a 'settings' problem.
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

if it bugs you that much and you can't get it fixed right now..common sense would be to just shut it down..i mean it doesn't take that long to load up.
QUOTE Thanks
kosmicdog

common sense?? it is a pain in the but to shut down and 'load up' constantly and think that most people would agree with that. what kind of comment is that anyway. seriously folks if you don't have something helpfull to say that maybe you shouldn't say anything at all.. just a suggestiion.
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

but seriously..whats 5 minutes tops of your day for a good night's sleep..
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

It may have nothing to do with your problem but my eMac will not shut down if classic is active. This started after the 10.3.8 update was installed. The screen will shut off but the system, fan etc will not shut down. I'm assuming it's a bug in 10.3.8 but I haven't had the time to try to track down a specific culprit.
QUOTE Thanks
kosmicdog

thank you for the info. i have tried just having the system up and running with no applications up. set up all the energy-saver and screen-saver options in various different combinations. my next step will be a complete wipe and reinstall but I have 30Gb of photos to reload and reorganize if I do that. the the only thing that has worked so far is zapping the nvram and that will allow the computer to sleep only for a short while. If anyone has had this problem I would like to know, even if you have not fixed it.

ciao,
Kd.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

Lots of tips in this thread that don't work for you, pity.

If it gets to the stage of a reinstall, try the Archive & Install option first so you don't have to reload all those photos.
It will just slide a new system under your untouched user accounts with the previous system left in a folder called "previous systems" in the main library :girl:
Trash it later if everything works.

All the preferences / permissions are left intact so may not help, you have no doubt repaired them.

It might be a good idea to download the combo updater from Apple first and maybe burn it to disc for a spare so it's ready to update your system.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Some Mac users will only use the combo updater as things have gone a bit flakey for them in the past with the normal software update. I've never had a problem though. Could try installing it anyway, can't hurt and might help.

Have fun with your eMac, I love mine.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
mpagami

My system will not go to sleep on it's own - it goes to sleep if I close the machine, but if it's open (and the 23 Cinema Display is connected or not), it doesn't sleep no matter what I set the energy saving settings to. I called AppleCare and we trouble shot for a while and the end result was them telling me I'd have to Archive and Re-Install the OS, meaning losing a lot of 3rd Party Apps (I do'nt have CD's for most of them anymore and would not have ser #'s to re-install). So, I have to choose "sleep" from the Apple menu everytime and force it to sleep (I forget half the time and my computer's on all night - an insomniac. It started happening BEFORE I installed 10.3.8, and right around the time I attached an external mic, though it stilll won't go to sleep with NOTHING attached to the ports. Also, resetting PMU doesn't turn the clock back to a weird time - my time and date stas current, so I'm thinking it isn't resetting the PMU...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

archive and install leaves all apps and settings and files intact, its erase and install that erases everything. archive and install just installs the os under the current one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking of getting a removable HDD, what do you think? | Another dumb KVM switch question »