New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Graphics card upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skedar

skedar is on a distinguished road

Sorry this isn't about my mac it's about my PC
i'm wanting to upgrade my current graphics card (ATI Radeon X600 PRO) to a new one preferably DX10. Not wanting to spend over ~80 max ~100 can anyone suggest some good graphics cards for me
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

for that price you can go with something like ATI Radeon 3870 which is at its lowest specs around a 100 pounds or the 3850 which you can get right in the middle of that price range

they're not the newest things in town, but still decent .. don't know about nvidia .... strange considering i have nvidia in my macbook but ati will cost you less and the performance is not all that worse (the 4870 is probably the best card out there imo)

I'm not so sure with british pricing, so I just did a quick google to get in the price range
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

Best cheap video card for the money right now is the Radeon HD4830, hands down. It's on par with the 3870 and draws less power. Not sure on prices, but in the U.S. it seems as though the 4830 costs the same or even less than the 3870 (which has been discontinued).

Here we go: PowerColor HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Ebuyer looks pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
skedar

skedar is on a distinguished road

With graphics cards will they always fit in with the motherboard ? don't want to buy one then find out it doesn't work
QUOTE Thanks
Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV

That depends. Does your motherboard have PCI Express or AGP? If it uses PCIe, it'll work. If it uses AGP, then it won't and you'll have to look for a good AGP video card. Those are getting hard to find these days - I think the best AGP card is the Radeon HD3850, but it might be kind of expensive. If you do have AGP and you can't afford a 3850, look for an AGP Radeon 2600XT instead.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dell drivers for latitude d520 | Scanner recommendations »