New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Questions about accessories for Notebooks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macswitcha

Macswitcha is an unknown at this point

Ok, I have the new stunning macbook. It is a beauty hence I have not taken it out my home yet. Plus, I don't have a laptop bag that I feel will protect it from rain, snow, etc, as well as keep it safe inside.

What I am trying to find out is are shoulder bags bad for your bag? I heard that shoulder bags are bad for your back thus I should get a backpack.

Any truth to this?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

It depends on the weight that you are carry. Either way if you are carry something very heavy with either a sholder bag or a regular backpack it's going to hurt your back regardless.

Highschool for me was terrible. AP books were like the size of dictionaries and that was like 5 books. I had to carry them around everywhere. I toppled backwards several times down a few flights of stairs because the bag was so heavy.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

almost any time you're carrying unbalanced weight it's back for your back.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
dabears34

dabears34 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4

All true but a backpack having two straps and centered in the middle of the back should balance the weight better.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I agree with everyone. Carrying anything heavy will raise havoc with your back eventually. I decided to use a backpack though because it does seem much better than having a bunch of weight sitting on one shoulder.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears34 View Post
All true but a backpack having two straps and centered in the middle of the back should balance the weight better.
indeed it will, for the same reason the waist belt on a frame pack helps, although that drops the weight to your hips.. which improves the loads CG in relation to your body

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Andy348

Andy348 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130

My sister needed to carry around a tun of books in High School. She used a normal one-shoulder bag and after about a month the doctor said that her shoulder blades were unalligned and she needed to stop using the one shoulder bag.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Thanks or all of the perspectives.

Ok, now, which backpack would you recommend or are there shoulder messenger bags that also can be worn like a backpack?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I have a Bum Backpack which acts as both backpack (obviously) and as a shoulder bag as well. it converts. It has a center line harness strap which goes around your waste (if you choose to hook it up and wear it) and takes most of the pressure off of your back. It's very comfortable, and has plenty of storage space, nooks and cranny's. It also has a through-the-bag zippered slot for when you want to store it on a luggage handle (so it won't fall off the luggage).

It's a pretty clever and well constructed bag. I also got it slightly discounted from Amazon as a "refurbished" item. Not sure of why it is called refurbished though. It came with everything it should have, and was perfect in every way.

Doug

Edit: Forgot to mention that the separate compartment which you store the laptop in, is very well padded and rugged as well. Fits very nicely.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

I am looking at the small commuter bag for my uni-macbook. If you have one, whats your evaluation?
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

I want connect my uni-macbook to a projector, what do I need to have?

In fact, what are all the essential media connectors needed?
QUOTE Thanks
ajampaniki

ajampaniki is on a distinguished road

You'll most likely need a mini-displayport to vga adapter. Depends on the projector though, but most have a vga port.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Thanks...looks like not to many people are liking that adapter.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

What are the pros and cons of this notebook sleeve for those that know something more about it or have experienced it?
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Boring request?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using a BT Home Hub 2.0 as a Print Server | Looking for best Mac Multifunctional printer »