New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

What scanner do you suggest I buy?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

muenster

muenster is on a distinguished road

It seems that I am going to have to buy a new scanner, as my older printer/scanner unit is ostensibly broken. I'm looking for a standalone scanner that is reasonably priced and can scan quickly and at high resolution.

From your experience, what would you suggest?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Epson got good scores for standalone not sure since most testing done by
the computer mags involve all in ones in the last year or so.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Hi from hugh ... bad luck with that previous unit. Very frustrating for you.

Does this site help you decide? Mac scanner reviews - current
Looks like Epson probably wins most points overall.

I've used Epson scanners, and seldom had much bother with them. Most were basic home use ones, nothing in the high-resolution class. I wish Agfa had stayed with flatbed scanners for Mac, they were very good.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Depending on your location, BestBuy sells a decent Epson scanner for $99.
QUOTE Thanks
muenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Hi from hugh ... bad luck with that previous unit. Very frustrating for you.

Does this site help you decide? Mac scanner reviews - current
Looks like Epson probably wins most points overall.

I've used Epson scanners, and seldom had much bother with them. Most were basic home use ones, nothing in the high-resolution class. I wish Agfa had stayed with flatbed scanners for Mac, they were very good.
Thanks for the link, Hugh. I have been looking at Epson scanners, and I think that I will probably go for the Perfection V300. It seems to get very good reviews, and it's quite cheap. I think this may be the one Ian mentioned.

There isn't a Best Buy too near me, but when I get into that area next I think I will stop by and pick this up
QUOTE Thanks
muenster

Well, I've bought the Perfection V300, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it thus far; it makes a bit of a high-pitched hum while scanning, which annoys slightly, but it scans fairly quickly and can do quite a bit in the way of enhancement and such.

I think that I will be glad that I bought this
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Thanks Muenster for keeping us posted on progress - here's hoping for many, many hours of use from that Epson.
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muenster View Post
Well, I've bought the Perfection V300, and I must say that I'm quite pleased with it thus far; it makes a bit of a high-pitched hum while scanning, which annoys slightly, but it scans fairly quickly and can do quite a bit in the way of enhancement and such.

I think that I will be glad that I bought this
Hi Muenster, yes I believe that was the model. Unfortunately, they all make that high pitch hum as the scanner works its way across the flatbed, some are noiser than others but if the quality is on par, noise is secondary. Maybe even tertiary. I picked up the Canon MF4350d which is a multifunction laser printer, was on sale for $150 and I really love the machine. There are a couple minor things that bug me but for the price and quality I'm quite happy.

Congrats on your new purchase. New toys are always fun!

r/
-Ian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Internal SATA for my PM G5 | compare contents of two or more drives »