New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Samsung laser printer issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ferritt

ferritt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour

Hi,

I purchased a samsung CPL 315 laser printer today and I'm having problems getting the smart panel software to work that came with it. The printer works fine but the smart panel software just won't work, so I have no way of knowing my ink levels. As far as I'm aware the software installed with the drivers. When the software was installed it created a alias in the apps folder. When I click on it it does nothing. I right click on it and choose open original to find the actual software folder but by clicking on the original smart panel app it still does nothing? I have downloaded the latest drivers and software from the samsung site but smart panel still doesn't work. The printer is connected by USB 2.0.

Has anybody got a samsung printer and had this problem? Or has anybody got any ideas?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I have the CLP 300 and haven't had any issues with Smart Panel so far (expect it was almost impossible to uninstall when I tried once).

I'd reinstall the Smart Panel application separately from the drive CD if you can. Then try rebooting, it adds some weird stuff to one of the launchdemons if I remember correctly...
QUOTE Thanks
ferritt

ferritt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I have the CLP 300 and haven't had any issues with Smart Panel so far (expect it was almost impossible to uninstall when I tried once).

I'd reinstall the Smart Panel application separately from the drive CD if you can. Then try rebooting, it adds some weird stuff to one of the launchdemons if I remember correctly...
Yeah installed from cd first then downloaded latest version from samsung site then reinstalled. Still no good tho. Program just doesn't do anything.
QUOTE Thanks
ab2009

ab2009 is on a distinguished road

I'm having exactly the same problem. Just got a Samsung ML 2850. Same thing you describe with the Smart Panel app. If I find a solution I'll let you know. Whole point of buying this printer was to use features like toner saving which I can't access. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
ab2009

ab2009 is on a distinguished road

When you hook up your printer your Mac automatically uses a generic driver.
What you need is the correct Samsung driver.

Go to System Preferences > Print&Fax > Options&Supplies > Driver. Then select 'Select a driver to use' in the dropdown menu. Then select the appropriate Samsung driver.

Smart Panel etc. starts working.

Worked for me anyway.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
RonnieSpike

RonnieSpike is on a distinguished road

Tried all of the above, + downloaded the latest versions of the software (smart panel, printer and scan drivers). Smart Panel icon/application non-functional. I like Smart Panel for ink levels and the ability to tell the printer I want to use card stock, etc. If anyone has an alternative to Smart Panel (or a fix for Smart Panel), I'm all ears. I had these capabilities when the printer was hooked to my Windows XP machine. Current OS is Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll likely need to wait for Samsung to update their software for SL.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RonnieSpike

RonnieSpike is on a distinguished road

The Samsung software I mentioned above (drivers, Smart Panel) are for Mac OS 10.6
QUOTE Thanks
angelinux

angelinux is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have that Samsung printer working fine under Snow Leopard 10.6.1, but not using the official Samsung drivers. I configured it as a new printer, using IPP protocol and the generic Samsung 3170 Series driver which comes with Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External keyboard works on 10.5.4 not on 10.5.6/10.5.8 | Imac 20" to HDTV »