New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

WD Passport Help? FW 800 to 400 + USB Cable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

I have a WD passport studio

My Passport Studio 320 GB Triple Interface Hard Drives ( WDMT3200 )

The main reason I brought it was because of its FW but it is only FW400 which I was aware of when purchasing.. As I have a white MacBook this was really handy..

Now I want to but a new MacBook and it only has FW800 - Curiosity got the better of me and I started to wonder if I could use a FW800 cable from the HDD or if there would be compatibility issues and so forth..

I then read that apparently the HDD I have ships with a USB, FW800 to FW400 (which is what I use) and FW 800 to FW800.

Can I buy a FW800 - FW800 cable either from them or just online from someone else and will it just work?

Has anyone has any luck in doing so?

Or any input would really be appreciated as I really do not want to go back to USB 2.0.

I will include the link that I found the review about the cables..

Western Digital My Passport Studio Review

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm assuming you plan on purchasing a new MacBook Pro which has the FW800 port. New MacBook (aluminum) lacks any Fire Wire ports.

The cable you were looking at will work. Using it as FW400 from the drive adapting it to FW800 to the MBP. The only thing you need to be aware of is when you use that type of adapter, you lose the speed of FW. In my opinion, you may be just as well off using the USB 2.0 connector on the drive and going straight on in to the MBP.

After all, it's not a matter of being able to boot from the WD as it can boot your new MBP even from USB 2.0.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

Agh - I was wondering about that..

I did think that perhaps that would be the case. I don' think that I will spend the extra on a MBP just for FW.

I think I will stick to getting a new MB and just use USB 2.0

However I am disappointed lol

Stanton ATM 6 active monitors | Canon 450D | Razer Sphex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon MX850 network installation help | eSATA HD + FW? »