New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

iMic

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrFuzzy

I bought an iMac last week and it works great for about 4-5 mins then it gets this terrible static sound. If I unplug it then plug it back in it goes away for about 4-5 mins anyone know how to fix this ?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What machine are you using it with?
I know that the iBook's internal soundcard seems to switch off if it isn't being used after a while, maybe the iMic is doing the same thing, which could cause the static sound you hear.

What are you doing with it? Recording? Using external speakers?
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I use the iMic for both input and output. I found that the static problems I had were caused by input settings on the iMic and in the sound settings.
From personal experience: check the sound level settings; if the input level is too high it can cause distortion and static even when there is no active input source. Also, make sure the built-in mic is not selected unless you are actually using it. It can pick up noise/static from inside the computer and feed it into the sound system. On the iMic make sure the source switch is correct for the input you are using. If you can't get the iMic to function without static it is probably defective.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I use an external logitech mic, it works great. and I use uickvoice with it.
QUOTE Thanks
MrFuzzy

I am using it with my 12" ibook and Peak 4, I have a studio mic plugged into it, im starting to think that it has something to do with it switching off if i play sound with itunes i never get the scratching sounds but it i let the machine sit it starts.

Other question is can i disable the internal mic? I checked griffins site and they said a usb hub might fix it because it is caused by hdd noise but i dont see how a hub would help.
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

The internal mic is disabled automatically when you select another source in the sound panel such as the studio mic. Griffin may think that adding a hub would dampen the interference but it probably won't help and may even degrade the signal from the mic.
Have you checked to see if the hard drive is set to sleep? If so, does the HD sleep time match when the static starts?
QUOTE Thanks
MrFuzzy

hdd sleep is set to 1 hour as far is i can tell i try playin around with that
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keyboard and Mouse help for a Mac II | Another played out question!!!!! »