New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Leopard cannot see the Freecom Mobile Drive pro 320 GB USB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

martijnkiev

martijnkiev is on a distinguished road

Bought yesterday a Freecom mobile drive pro (USB version). This external disk is pre-formatted at FAT32 and suppose to be readable by both Mac and Windows.

When i connect it to my Powerbook G4 with Leopard, the disk is invisible and dont appear in the finder. When i use the disk tool utility the disk is also not visible there.

Then when i connect the device to a XP computer, the mobile drive works ok.

Does anybody had this problem before with Mobile Drive pro or any other usb external harddisk?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Does that USB port on the Powerbook work with anything else (it may be a bad port)

I would consider firewire for connecting to that, it will be much faster

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
martijnkiev

Other devices works pretty well on that USB port. Tried it also thru a USB hub without good result as well.

Firewire is a great alternative, however i like to mobile pro drive because its without a power adapter and perfect for using while travelling.

It seems to me the harddisk keep on hanging on MAC OS. Is this a common problem?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

My only thought is that it is not getting enough Power through that port, I would give firewire a go since that allows more power on the bus anyway

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
martijnkiev

you were right. Now connected the USD drive thru a external powered USB hub and it works. Guy in the shop told me the G4 has a power supply problem at Leopard to external disk. Problem solved. Thanks for your advice!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple TV | Lexmark X6170 »