Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 27, 2008
    Posts
    33
    Computer upgrade and Aperture 2
    I'm looking to upgrade my MBP 2.2 GHz Intel computer. Aperture 2 has been beach-balling me more than I like, although most of my other programs seem to run pretty smoothly overall.

    Am I better served upgrading my 2 gb memory to the max 4 gb, or upgrading my 5400 rpm drive to a 7200 rpm drive? A couple of points: I will be doing both eventually (probably within 5 months of each other) but don't have the money for both now. My current hdd is only half-full so space (and any increased speed by additional drive space) may not yet be an issue. My thoughts about a new 7200 drive is more a write speed issue.

    Will I gain in more Aperture speed with more memory or a faster write speed onto my drive. Thanks.

  2. #2

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I'd go with the memory so that you don't get the beach ball. The HDD can wait.

  3. #3

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,008
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I agree, definitely go with the memory upgrade. Aperture needs memory especially if you're working with very large photo files.

    Regards.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 27, 2008
    Posts
    33
    Seagate 500gb 7200rpm
    So i've had the memory upgrade (maxed at 4gb) for a couple of months now. I'm now getting ready to change out my harddrive. I've noticed that Seagate has put out a 7200 rpm 500gb drive that looks tempting. Of course there are no reviews on it yet (heat, noise) and Seagate is just getting over a HDD lemon issue on one of their models, so I'm thinking of holding off for a bit.

    I know most sites are backordered on that drive. Anyone get their hands on it yet? I was wavering between a 320gb 7200 rpm drive vs a 500gb 5400 rpm drive, but that may be a moot point now with Seagates introduction. I had also read that past 250gb on a 320gb HDD performance slows drastically, so I don't want to be hampered by disk size like that.

    Kind of rambling, but any thoughts?

    I just noticed that Seagate dropped their usual 5yr warranty on the 500gb drive to 3yrs!?

  5. #5

    james_falknor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 16, 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    41
    Specs:
    eMac, 1GHZ, 1GB Memory, OS X 10.5
    I personally would go with a Western Digital hard drive.


    James

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 02, 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjconn View Post
    So i've had the memory upgrade (maxed at 4gb) for a couple of months now. I'm now getting ready to change out my harddrive. I've noticed that Seagate has put out a 7200 rpm 500gb drive that looks tempting. Of course there are no reviews on it yet (heat, noise) and Seagate is just getting over a HDD lemon issue on one of their models, so I'm thinking of holding off for a bit.

    I know most sites are backordered on that drive. Anyone get their hands on it yet? I was wavering between a 320gb 7200 rpm drive vs a 500gb 5400 rpm drive, but that may be a moot point now with Seagates introduction. I had also read that past 250gb on a 320gb HDD performance slows drastically, so I don't want to be hampered by disk size like that.

    Kind of rambling, but any thoughts?

    I just noticed that Seagate dropped their usual 5yr warranty on the 500gb drive to 3yrs!?
    Hello! What about the memory upgrade? Did Aperture get faster with the extra 2gb? I often work with large raw files and I think my iMac (MB324) also needs more memory to make Aperture happy...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 04:36 PM
  3. Aperture upgrade costs
    By Ttaylor394 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 05:28 PM
  4. Should I Upgrade to 10.6 or get a new computer?
    By mgsfan18 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
  5. Aperture Library Won't load in iWeb after update to Aperture 3.1
    By KCTexas in forum Web Design and Hosting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •