New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

making an external monitor your primary monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker is on a distinguished road

I have somehow managed to get the top bar onto my external monitor and my main screens are there as well. Now i am really struggling getting the dock across.

Any help would be much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Did you drag the external over the top of the internal and set it to mirror?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Teddy Picker

Teddy Picker is on a distinguished road

This is an option, however I have a 22" monitor and it wont let me use the full resolution (1920 x 1080) of my monitor when I do this, I have used the arrangements to sort most of it out not i'm just struggling to get the dock across.

Also is there anyway to use just my external monitor, in affect turning the laptop display off?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You can use the external as your only monitor by attaching a USB keyboard and mouse to the machine. Close the lid on the computer and put the machine to sleep. Tap any key on the external keyboard and the external monitor will wake up but the internal will remain dark.

If you own a late model MacBook, it's capable of rendering a resolution of 2048 x 1536. I'm not sure I understand why you can't at least display at 1920 x 1080?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
appleisgreat

appleisgreat is infamous around these parts

you should be able to make either your primary monitor. I am not on my laptop ATM and cannot remember the EXACT steps but it should be close to system preferences > displays > arrangements > and then from there you will see a bar on the top of the "main" screen that you can simply drag to the "other" screen to change the primary monitor. HTH and works !

appisgrt
QUOTE Thanks
Big Joe Daddy

Big Joe Daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisgreat View Post
you should be able to make either your primary monitor. I am not on my laptop ATM and cannot remember the EXACT steps but it should be close to system preferences > displays > arrangements > and then from there you will see a bar on the top of the "main" screen that you can simply drag to the "other" screen to change the primary monitor. HTH and works !

appisgrt
Appleisgreat hit it right on the money. It's not all that intuitive on the display setup screen, but you'll notice one of the display icons has a small white bar across the top of it. You can drag that little bar to either display and get your dock where you want it and your primary display as well.
Thanks Appleisgreat.
BJD
QUOTE Thanks
CrazyD

CrazyD is on a distinguished road

thx appleisgreat, that wasn't as intuitive as tasks usually are in osx... working great now.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
Buckfloot

Buckfloot is on a distinguished road

Thanks man, the white bar does the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
jamisoncents

jamisoncents is on a distinguished road

I tried turning the hide feature off so it would show up in the arrangement setting and that didn't work. Any help??
QUOTE Thanks
David00

David00 is on a distinguished road

The tip from appleisgreat worked first time. Couldn't find a way to do this myself, luckily Google brought me here.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro Fan Grinding Noise...? | Kingston Data Traveler Ultimate 3.0 with MacOS? »