New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

KVM between Mac and PC on VGA and PS2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NeilP

NeilP has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I frequently bring PC boxes into the house, either to fix for others, or to install some Linux distro or other, FreeNAS or similar.

I want one keyboard and mouse, and one main monitor which will be the Mac Pro monitor. The Mac Pro will also be driving a seperate second monitor, plus the Panasonic Plasma both through VGA adapters

At present I do this, but the main machine is a PC, and all mouse/keyboard are PS2.

So is it possible to have a KVM switch that has both USB and PS2 outputs, so I can have MAC on USB and any other machines on a PS2 cable?

And what about the video?
The main (Switched) monitor will be the new Mac monitor. If I have a PC with VGA output, how can I send that to the new mac monitor? will ther be a KVM switch that can convert VGA in to feed the Mac monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

If the input is digital you will need a VGA/Digital adapter on the PC side. I use an old manual VGA switch box. I just pug in a seperate Mouse keyboard for the PC I'm working on.
QUOTE Thanks
THeBadMonkey

THeBadMonkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd

Try this/ I have seen it recommended on many websites but I am a touch unsure if it will do all you need it to.
QUOTE Thanks
NeilP

NeilP has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Synergy, yes, I like that, but not seen it before. Sort of seemless VNC across the network

It wont be any good for what I want though, as you already need KVM access to the second machine AND an OS already installed. I will often be working on bare bones systems that I will be installing an OS onto

I do have other uses for it though, Cheers
Possibly an easier way to drive my music server in the attic.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow transfer speeds to USB drive | Airport Express work with older Airport card? »