Red face In search for an External DVD Burner.
    Well my Mac Mini should be here tomorrow.

Yesterday my LaCie DvD usb2.0 burner took a crap on me. I took it back to CompUSA (I have a 2 year service plan w/ them) and try to get a exchange, but they do not have any LaCie burners in stock. So I only found one more burner that claims it is Mac compatible and its a Iomega Super Drive 16x.

So I take it home, what a POS drive. Now I want to return it.

My question is would I be able to use any other external dvd burners from CompUSA even though they do not claim that they are Mac compatible? I can eiter get a external USB or Firewire one. Please help? Suggestions.

Yes,,, I am a new Mac user. :bone:

Ryanstech
    Iomega has been going downhill ever since ZIP drives became obsolete. I would look for a drive that supports both USB2.0 and Firewire for maximum compatibility. Compusa has a limited selection try looking online if you can you will more then likely find a great deal.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Get the LaCie DVD burner. I have been told that they are very close to the superdrive that Apple uses. Also I would stick with firewire. You will find that you will use it more often, unless you have a PC.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
    one of my friends has a X16 LaCie External DVD burner.... =O niiice... why does Apple still uses X4???
    - It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I believe Apple is up to 8 now.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Yea I just purchased a 12X LG burner. has both firewire and USB2.0. I just have to use aftermarket mac burning software

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Use Toast and install Patchburn 3, which lets you burn dvd's form iTunes, iDVD and iPhoto...

macsrule
    Quote Originally Posted by shift
    Well my Mac Mini should be here tomorrow.

Yesterday my LaCie DvD usb2.0 burner took a crap on me. I took it back to CompUSA (I have a 2 year service plan w/ them) and try to get a exchange, but they do not have any LaCie burners in stock. So I only found one more burner that claims it is Mac compatible and its a Iomega Super Drive 16x.

So I take it home, what a POS drive. Now I want to return it.

My question is would I be able to use any other external dvd burners from CompUSA even though they do not claim that they are Mac compatible? I can eiter get a external USB or Firewire one. Please help? Suggestions.

Yes,,, I am a new Mac user. :bone:

I bought an Samsung internal DVD and also an external USB case to use on my PC and Mac. the Samsung DVD is only 4x (i think) i havent burned any DVDs, but the CD burner works on both units.

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    I have an external lacie dual layer sup drive, go with lacie and firewire. it cost me 149.99 new online.

MrSector9
    I bought a sony 8x dvd-r that is external firewire/usb 2.0 and VERY happy with it.Got it for $99 canadian plus shipping.

BJ White

Thread Information