Thread: emac questions

Frank
    Question emac questions
    I recently bought a used emac with a G4 processor, 733 Mhz, 40 GB hard drive, 640 MB RAM. My questions are can a Select 360 Laser Printer be hooked up to the emac. The printer has a serial port and I was wondering if some type of conversion box can be used to convert the printer to a connection compatible with the emac. Also I installed OSX 10.2 into the emac (I didn't intall 10.3 because it doesn't recognize the classic Mac OS and I have a lot of stuff on my old computer that I want to use on the emac). I tried to install OS 9.2.2 but it doesn't install. I started up holding the "c" key down and the computer did go into the install mode but the hard disk didn't show up on the desktop. I tried to create a new folder to install into but the folder grayed out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    TIA Frank

Badger
    You can get a serial-usb adapter from Compucable.com. There used to be several companies that sold these but Compucable seems to be the only one still doing it. The other issue will be finding printer drivers that will work with modern system versions, especially OS X. You might want to check that before you buy an adapter.
    This model eMac is dual-boot so it should take OS 9.2.2 withou a problem. You'll need to do it from the disks for this computer or a commercial 9.2.2 version. On this model 10.3 is compatible with 9.2.2 (not just classic) so you shouldn't have any issues with that.

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    You can get a serial-usb adapter from Compucable.com. There used to be several companies that sold these but Compucable seems to be the only one still doing it. The other issue will be finding printer drivers that will work with modern system versions, especially OS X. You might want to check that before you buy an adapter.
    This model eMac is dual-boot so it should take OS 9.2.2 withou a problem. You'll need to do it from the disks for this computer or a commercial 9.2.2 version. On this model 10.3 is compatible with 9.2.2 (not just classic) so you shouldn't have any issues with that.
    Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can locate a driver for the printer first. I think what happened with the OSX install, it didn't have the OS9.2.2 drivers on it and they weren't installed. I'll probably have to initialize the hard drive and try to figure out how to get the OS9 drivers in the computer before installing OSX

Thread Information