Thread: Please Help!!!

Specs:
    Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
    Please Help!!!
    This is my scenario and I need some advice on what decision I should make. First of all I just started doing a little bit of video editing. We all know how this can eat up your hardrive space. Well I was thinking either going with 160 internal for more room and is more afordable then external. I've heard that external is faster and easier to maintain when backing up data. If anyone has any insight to this please share some with me.....

Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    external is faster if its firewire, it usually is, and internal can be faster if you buy a new ide controller card thats super ide or something.

Specs:
    [QUOTE=Macman]external is faster if its firewire, it usually is, and internal can be faster if you buy a new ide controller card thats super ide or something.[/QUOTE
    But wouold it be more convient to have an internal drive far as importing and exporting files or backing up?

Specs:
    17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
    I would think an external would be better, this way you could take them to another computer to transfer them if you need to. Much easier, IMO, than having to save them to a CD/DVD and then loading the CD/DVD onto another machine.
    Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.

Specs:
    yes, an external would be much more convinient and easier to use.

Specs:
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
    I have a g4 733 that won't recognize more than 120gb on internals. You may want to check to see if your system has the same limitation.

I have a 160gb and a 200gb that I put into firewire enclosures so that I wouldn't lose the additional gb.

That in itself may cause you to want to go firewire.
    I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by immdb
    I have a g4 733 that won't recognize more than 120gb on internals. You may want to check to see if your system has the same limitation.

I have a 160gb and a 200gb that I put into firewire enclosures so that I wouldn't lose the additional gb.

That in itself may cause you to want to go firewire.
    Is that simple to just buy a hardrive and insert it in a case to make it external. Enlight me more on this gadget!!

Specs:
    its very simple, you can get an internal hd cheap, like 2 gb per dollar, and an external case any one will work, as long as the drive fits. I explain it here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...light=external

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    its very simple, you can get an internal hd cheap, like 2 gb per dollar, and an external case any one will work, as long as the drive fits. I explain it here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...light=external
    where can i grab an external case from?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by New2Macs
    where can i grab an external case from?
    compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.

Specs:
    [QUOTE=Macman]compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.[/QUOT
    All have to do is buy a case insert a hardrive in and wa la external hardrive...Cool

Specs:
    [QUOTE=New2Macs]
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    compusa, circuit city, best buy, it doesnt have to be 'mac' compatible, the hd either as long as itll connect through firewire or whatever you want.[/QUOT
    All have to do is buy a case insert a hardrive in and wa la external hardrive...Cool
    dont forget to connect the IDE connection cable and power cable, its fool proof, I suggest getting a case with an on/off switch.

Thread Information