New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Recommendations for a inkjet printer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Well I'm not really big on printers, I just have an Epson printer that is one of those all in one kind of printer, and an HP printer that is similar, plus a lexmark printer that does the same thing as the other two.

I didn't buy any of these printers myself except for the HP printer which I got with my Mac for 1 cent.

Anyways my school seems to focus a lot more on print design, rather than web design. I found myself printing a lot, our last project cost me 40 dollars to print 14 pages in full color.

That seems pretty expensive to me, and I kind of want something that can print 11"X17" or larger 13"X19".

Maybe something that can use roll printing, and something that can do full bleed? Maybe I'm asking too much for a printer that can be used at home.

I would like a designers point of view on what kind of printer you would recommend. Of course others are welcome to chime in.

I have my eye on an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 or R1800, although these seem to be more like they would be for photography rather than graphic design.

I'm a little concerned because I wouldn't really be using these kind of printers to print photos but more for book, and magazine layout on regular paper. I of course want them to be professional looking at the same time, because presentation is very important in graphic design.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

I used to work in publishing, will that do?

Brand? In a word - Canon. I take it you don't need yet another all-in-one, so take a look at these: Photo Inkjet Printers - Photo Inkjet Printers - PIXMA Pro Professional Inkjet Printers - Canon USA Consumer Products
"The more you pays, the better you gets".
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
I used to work in publishing, will that do?

Brand? In a word - Canon. I take it you don't need yet another all-in-one, so take a look at these: Photo Inkjet Printers - Photo Inkjet Printers - PIXMA Pro Professional Inkjet Printers - Canon USA Consumer Products
"The more you pays, the better you gets".
Publishing is pretty close, so of course.

Thanks for the link, I totally forgot about Canon. ^-^"

Sigh I remember having a Canon printer when I was younger, when I was 13. It was a pretty good printer lasted me about 5 years.

I looked at the printers that you recommended and it irks me a little because of the ink that it uses, plus the fact that the resolution isn't as high as the Epson R1900. >_<"

If I wanted to use the pigment dye inks then I would have to upgrade to the 9500 and that is a freak of a lot of money for a printer.

I'm willing to pay 400-500 for one but 800 no thanks.

I guess I'm stuck with Epson then.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

There are Ink systems for Epson and Canon printers that deliver the ink out of bottles to the print heads. I have an Epson wide format printer "older model" I got at the Thrift store for $5.00 also an Minolta Magicolor 2430.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
There are Ink systems for Epson and Canon printers that deliver the ink out of bottles to the print heads. I have an Epson wide format printer "older model" I got at the Thrift store for $5.00 also an Minolta Magicolor 2430.
Wow are you serious? Wide format printer for 5 bucks?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Yes it was a Epson stylus photo 1270. Prints up to 14 inch paper. I saw an Epson stylus pro today at the thrift store for $6.00. I just bought a Canon pixma 4200 at the thrift store a week or so ago for $5.00, all it needed was new ink. OH...I also saw one of those office HP printers that will take wide paper. The Minolta was $12.00 and I had to fix it,the paper sensor was stuck...it came from an office and no could figure out why it stop working..there loss my gain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for hardware tool sets | Iboost webcam with my Ibook G4... help ! »