New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

7-port hub - which one?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

[Yes, I've searched other threads about USB hubs, but they're not quite what I wish to ask.]

I have four USB hubs already, but two of them are old powered Kouwell USB 1.1. Good units for a keyboard, mouse etc, but they're too slow for high demand or high speed peripherals. They'll do fine for my G3.

I've narrowed my choices down to two - Cyberpower or Targus. Why? 1) Because they come with a stand for vertical placement, and 2) I already have a Cyberpower 4-port battery-pwrd hub which is very good.

The Targus comes with two high-power ports which supply 1000 mA. My guess is that's for external USB-hard drives, which I don't presently need. My question in this respect is: what effect would 1000 mA have on standard USB devices? The Targus has audio pass-through which I don't really need either. Price in NZ - US$35.

The Cyberpower has a slight price advantage at US$33, but it doesn't have the extra features.

Only the Targus brand is available in NZ, but I can get a Cyberpower unit brought out from the US in December.

Your thoughts? Does anyone operate either of those two brands of USB hub?
QUOTE Thanks
Spy

Spy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Iphone 3g, +iPods

really? sweet, iv been looking for this type of info.

I needed a 1000 mA usb hub! (this will allow it to charge the iphone 3g) the standard 500 mA will not work.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
really? sweet, iv been looking for this type of info.
I needed a 1000 mA usb hub! (this will allow it to charge the iphone 3g) the standard 500 mA will not work.
Hi Spy - I've just set up the Targus 7-port hub, and it's working as it should, all 7 ports occupied, and the audio pass-through belting out iTunes as I type. My only criticism thus far is that two of the USB ports are on top of the unit, which could be a slight problem for clearance between upper and lower decks of a work station. Lying the unit on its side would fix that issue.

The 100 mA ports are occupied by the two peripheral drives I use, one a hard drive from an enclosure, the other an Iomega Zip drive. I'll be interested in how the Targus handles movies from the ext hard drive.

The blurb with the Targus packaging makes the point that it will continue to charge external devices as long as it's switched on, regardless of whether or not the computer is on and operating.
QUOTE Thanks
Spy

will the ext. HD not work with one of the other standard ports, or does it require 1000mA as well?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

The 1000 mA is a bonus in a sense, but an ext HD will work with a standard USB port providing the hub itself has external power. Ext hard drives usually require extra power, and so the so-called 'high-power' ports simply provide plenty of juice for higher demand from the USB system.

Incidentally, I looked at a Cyberpower 7-port hub, CyberPower CP-H720P USB 7 Port Hub with AC Adapter and Flash Drive ( CP-H720P ) - USB Hub - CyberPower Networking but, whilst cheaper, it didn't have the audio facility, it didn't have the 1KmA provision, and it was available only from the US.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
The blurb with the Targus packaging makes the point that it will continue to charge external devices as long as it's switched on, regardless of whether or not the computer is on and operating.
See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Targus.pdf (138.5 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

joelw135 is on a distinguished road

I am having a hard time with my two 7 port USB 2.0 hubs. My main problem is that even though the hubs are powered they loose the connection to some devices on restart. They are both D-Link DUB-H7 hubs. The iMac only has three USB ports and one is the transmitter for the keyboard and mouse. One is for the first hub and the last is for my Western Digital external HD. I have on the hub a Pro printer and a photo Scanner plus a FreeAgent HD, Wacom Tablet, UPS, one to feed the second hub and finally the Garmin GPS. So I need a new reliable 7 port hub. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Hi Joel - yours is an interesting poser. I've just run a quick test on the Targus because three of the indicator lights weren't showing. That was because the units connected weren't switched on - easily remedied. So, the conclusion is that unless the external *powered* device is switched on, then the USB connection is inactive. This doesn't apply to the mouse and keyboard, both wired in my case, because they're not self-powered.

However, that doesn't exactly answer a question I have regarding your situation. You seem to suggest that a restart fixes the 'lost connection', is that correct? That puzzles me. Maybe the units that had 'lost' their connection were in some sort of 'sleep' mode, and were reactivated on computer restart.

Ideas? Well, as I first posted, I narrowed my choices down to (i) Cyberpower and (ii) Targus, because of my good experience with the Cyberpower 4-port battery-pwrd unit, and because the Targus had audio pass-through, plus the two 1000 mA ports.

The Cyberpower unit @ US$33 has a distinct price advantage over the Targus @ $46, but it has fewer facilities. See Printers - Scanners - Toner - Monitors - Projectors & More at Super Warehouse for a large range of hubs available. You can view a Cyberpower 7-port hub being set up on YouTube.

I'm happy enough at this stage with the Targus, if that's of any help.

BTW - just for comparative purposes, I also have an Arlec power board with:
5 x USB2 ports (incl 1 in)
2 x ethernet (i/o)
4 x phone (incl 1 in)
7 x power sockets, 3 of them wide-spaced,
all surge protected.
Perhaps that type of unit might suit your purposes, but it's quite bulky and it isn't pretty. It cost me about US$30 a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
Hi Joel - yours is an interesting poser. I've just run a quick test on the Targus because three of the indicator lights weren't showing. That was because the units connected weren't switched on - easily remedied. So, the conclusion is that unless the external *powered* device is switched on, then the USB connection is inactive. This doesn't apply to the mouse and keyboard, both wired in my case, because they're not self-powered.

However, that doesn't exactly answer a question I have regarding your situation. You seem to suggest that a restart fixes the 'lost connection', is that correct? That puzzles me. Maybe the units that had 'lost' their connection were in some sort of 'sleep' mode, and were reactivated on computer restart.

Ideas? Well, as I first posted, I narrowed my choices down to (i) Cyberpower and (ii) Targus, because of my good experience with the Cyberpower 4-port battery-pwrd unit, and because the Targus had audio pass-through, plus the two 1000 mA ports.

The Cyberpower unit @ US$33 has a distinct price advantage over the Targus @ $46, but it has fewer facilities. See Printers - Scanners - Toner - Monitors - Projectors & More at Super Warehouse for a large range of hubs available. You can view a Cyberpower 7-port hub being set up on YouTube.

I'm happy enough at this stage with the Targus, if that's of any help.
My problem is similar but different. The FreeAgent drive was a sleep problem that can't be fixed unless you have a PC to install the Seagate software then change the sleep settings to always on for the external drive. The issues regarding the printer and scanner is I think a hub problem as sometimes on reboot they are not found, but plugging and unplugging the device creates the connection. On the Apple forum I saw another user complaining about the same hubs, so I am looking for a new 7 port hub. I am hoping that the change I made to the power settings on the drive, when I hooked it to my Dell fixed that problem. I am about to reboot and see if that is fixed.

UPDATE:

Well I just rebooted and the FreeAgent went off so I had to unplug the power and plug it back in. The scanner the same, and the printer just turn on the power switch. I guess I will have to live with this. Is it a limitation of the iMac or the attached hardware including the hub?
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

I bought a Cables To Go 7 port USB 2.0 hub and my connection problems are gone. It has a power light but it is missing the light for each port, but since this works great I don't care. Another plus is how well it is built. It comes with a desk/wall mount also.
QUOTE Thanks
Spy

well, i now have the targus 7 port hub you mentioned.. and it works kinda weird...

first, the two high power ports dont work properly... my iphone 3g requires a 1000mA charger (which the two highpower ports are) but it doesnt charge on either when the hub is NOT plugged into the computer. Interestingly, it does charge only on port 5... sometimes.

When the hub is plugged into the computer, everything works perfectly. Once the computer is unplugged again, the iphone will no longer charge from the self powered hub on any port. I have to either unplug and replug the unit, or plug the unit back into the computer for it to charge again.

Anyone have any similar problems or comments on this?
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

I bought the Cables To Go 7 port Aluminum Hub and it works real well. The downstream ports have automatic connect and speed detection function plus over-current protection with auto recovery. All I know is that the devices that powered down when un-plugged from the D-Link hub now power up on reboot. I paid only $17.79 US for it. As I said in the post above, it only has a power light, and no activity lights.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy View Post
well, i now have the targus 7 port hub you mentioned.. and it works kinda weird...
first, the two high power ports don't work properly... my iphone 3g requires a 1000mA charger (which the two high power ports are) but it doesn't charge on either when the hub is NOT plugged into the computer. Interestingly, it does charge only on port 5... sometimes.
When the hub is plugged into the computer, everything works perfectly. Once the computer is unplugged again, the iphone will no longer charge from the self powered hub on any port. I have to either unplug and replug the unit, or plug the unit back into the computer for it to charge again.
Anyone have any similar problems or comments on this?
Take a look at the .pdf attachment (post #6). The blurb claims "Always On USB ports" so maybe you have a faulty unit. If you think that is the case, contact both the retailer and Targus Targus Group | Leading Provider of Laptop Cases, Bags and Accessories

However, some questions:
1. when you're charging your iPhone, do you switch it off? My theory is that if an attached unit is switched off, then the circuit provided by the Targus is null. This I found (see an earlier post in reply to JoelW) when testing the Targus' activity lights.
2. I have to ask this: do you leave the Targus powered on continually even when your computer is switched off? Increasingly, according to a survey I read, people are switching everything (ie. computer, TV, stereo) off at the wall overnight in order to save power.
3. From left field - do you put your computer (type?) to sleep rather than switching it off? Maybe that affects the way the Targus works.

I'm a little confused when you say "I have to either unplug and replug the unit, or plug the unit back into the computer for it to charge again". I take it by "unit" you mean the Targus. But plugging the "unit" back into the computer shouldn't affect operations if the computer is switched off. Once again, I suspect there is something in the makeup of the Targus that requires a 'total' circuit in order for it to work. That would indeed be "weird". Other than external power supplied to the Targus, it should work as a charger regardless of connection to other devices.

Since I don't use my Targus for charging anything, I cannot replicate your experience.

For interest - a post on another forum asked about a combo 7-port USB hub with digital card reader included. Iogear make such an item - US$30.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

I think he is referring to the same problem I had where a device lost connection and to reconnect you must unplug either the USB chord from the device or the power from the device to reconnect. My old D-Link did that all the time. My new Cables To Go keeps the power going to the device even I reboot. My FreeAgent USB drive would turn off completely and I would have to unplug the power and replug. It was a pain to do this for three devices every time I would reboot. Now I have no problems at all. What a relief that that is all in the past.
QUOTE Thanks
joelw135

I liked the new hub so much that I ordered another yesterday and received it today. With this hub I am able to have my Canon Pro 9000 in the off position and when it needs to print it turns on. The old hub (D-Link) did allow this. These Cables To Go Aluminum hubs are great, other than that they don't have power lights for each port. But since I no longer have USB problems I don't need the lights. For 17.79 these are great. When I have a little more time I will order another for my wifes computer which suffers from very few ports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 314GGP6YDSL._SL400_.jpg (10.1 KB, 3 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« buying japanese (JIS) apple keyboard in the us? | External WesternDigital hd issues? »