New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Which Speakers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

I want to get some more powerful speakers for the emac (1ghz model). Which speakers are compatible, or should any work with a seperate power supply?

I really like the small round apple speakers that came with the last generation imac, but as these are self-powered, would they work?

Many thanks for your time
QUOTE Thanks
Ryanstech

No, the apple pro speakers (little round ones) have a proprietary connection that can only be found in the newer iMacs and maybe the G5's? I can't remember but definitly not the eMacs. However for $40 extra you can buy Griffins iFire to use the pro speakers on any computer:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

i own the JBL Creatures and i love them

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

the jbl creature speakers are not that good, you pay for the looks, not sound, I had them, but ditched em and kept my g4 cube speakers(similiar to apple pro, but usb powered). the sound sticks and also klipshe speakers are great sound and price.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanstech
No, the apple pro speakers (little round ones) have a proprietary connection that can only be found in the newer iMacs and maybe the G5's? I can't remember but definitly not the eMacs. However for $40 extra you can buy Griffins iFire to use the pro speakers on any computer:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/
The only Macs that had this connector (and the needed build-in amplifier) are the iMac G4 and the PowerMac G4 starting from the Digital Audio.

The Harman Kardon Soundsticks II are very good, great sound and cool design.
QUOTE Thanks
the_New_guy

the_New_guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;

how are alteck lancing mx5021

Mac OSX is the bomb :bomb:
The Gadget Cast Gadgets.in
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i just bought this: Philips PSC805/17 Aurilium 5.1-Channel External Sound Processor off of amazon (link that probably wont work: amazon.com )

on the same page is a set of logitech x-530 5.1 speakers that i own and use and they are really nice. i have them set up with a y-adapter out of my headphone jack, but i am looking for more accurate 5.1 sound so im going with the above mentioned unit to hopefully get some nice sound

-chris
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
i just bought this: Philips PSC805/17 Aurilium 5.1-Channel External Sound Processor off of amazon (link that probably wont work: amazon.com )

on the same page is a set of logitech x-530 5.1 speakers that i own and use and they are really nice. i have them set up with a y-adapter out of my headphone jack, but i am looking for more accurate 5.1 sound so im going with the above mentioned unit to hopefully get some nice sound

-chris
The only benefit of 5.1 would be for watching DVD movies...for anything else, a 2.1 system is good enough...
QUOTE Thanks
General_K

I had the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers recently. They sound great, but the stock speaker cables suck. I traded them in for the Logitech Z-2300 system. The Logitech system sounds very good too, and cost less than the Klipsch I had before. Both the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and Logitech Z-2300 are THX certified, making them good choices for watching DVD's.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Thanks everyone for the input So, basically, I can use any speaker that is not self powered? Thanks also for the suggestions, taking a looksy now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« USB PC Card Adapter | EMI and Mac mini »